Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately didn't make it down to Ohio this year. Hunted Woodbury state land, near Coshocton a couple years ago and saw great deer numbers. Anyone have success in Ohio this year?

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
This thread is 6 hrs old Natedog and nobody's responded yet? Wow! Well apparently there's no deer in Ohio anymore either.....😉😉😉😉

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got my first buck in Ohio this year after 4 years of hunting there, always see a few big ones but not been able to get it done until this year. Old warrior, had 2 broken tines....

Son in-law got this one with bow

And I found this guy in 2013

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
buddies hunted woodbury for a week in november. between the 2 of them they saw 2 does all week. They hunt it every year and this was the worst ever.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did not kill a buck this year. Hunted right up til last weekend. Didnt start hunting til December. Had a great season. Passed a bunch of 130-140 3 yr olds. All of the mature bucks were still nocturnal. Cant wait til next year. Over 40 different bucks on 3 cams the last week in January. Public land.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went to Southeast Ohio last year and didn't see much due mostly to extremely warm temperatures. Seen a couple good bucks after dark on the roads. My buddy went back this year to the same area and had better luck. Seen a good number of bucks during daylight but couldn't close the deal.

We had to get used to big woods hunting so there was definitely a learning curve. Much harder to pattern them when you don't have crop fields IMO.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Got involved in a 1200 acre lease is SW Ohio with 3 other guys on what could be described as an "awesome" piece of ground. Never did kill one, passed up numerous 130-145" bucks (as we all did) but was holding out for one of those monster Ohio bucks. Never did see one and we hunted quite a few days.
That honeysuckle they have growing in their woods sucks. It holds green leaves late, they eat and bed in these bushes, and it is impossible to hunt inside the woods this stuff is so thick. Very tough hunting in Ohio at least where there is honeysuckle. Don't see near the numbers but the amount of mature bucks is pretty incredible.
One lease member ended up shooting a 174" in ML season.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got involved in a 1200 acre lease is SW Ohio with 3 other guys on what could be described as an "awesome" piece of ground. Never did kill one, passed up numerous 130-145" bucks (as we all did) but was holding out for one of those monster Ohio bucks. Never did see one and we hunted quite a few days.
That honeysuckle they have growing in their woods sucks. It holds green leaves late, they eat and bed in these bushes, and it is impossible to hunt inside the woods this stuff is so thick. Very tough hunting in Ohio at least where there is honeysuckle. Don't see near the numbers but the amount of mature bucks is pretty incredible.
How did you hear about the lease? I am currently looking for either a lease here in Michigan or a nearby state for next year but am not having much luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I hunt southeastern ohio about 45 min SE of Columbus, hunted 10 days during rut, saw prolly a dozen 130+, never got a chance to shoot though, big hills, open mature oak woods makes for hard bow hunting, all where chasing and wouldn't respond to a dam thing, numbers don't seem as high down there but buck/doe ratio has gotta be close to 50/50

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have heard that there are massive deer drives during firearm season in Ohio. Is this true?
It's true
You see big groups of hunters making deer drives. Fortunately for me I'm on private land. There are areas on the public land they will not drive because of the steep terrain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is a buck I passed up in SE ohio public land last November. Not huge but not bad for public. I had my heart set on a 130" 8pt I saw earlier that morning. Anyways, moved across to the opposite side of the ridge where I thought he might come through again that evening and he came through at 50 yds on a trot, couldn't get him to stop and he trotted away never to be seen again. November 3rd was probably my best day.. I saw 4 bucks and 5 does. ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1423113900.049138.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went to Southeast Ohio last year and didn't see much due mostly to extremely warm temperatures. Seen a couple good bucks after dark on the roads. My buddy went back this year to the same area and had better luck. Seen a good number of bucks during daylight but couldn't close the deal.

We had to get used to big woods hunting so there was definitely a learning curve. Much harder to pattern them when you don't have crop fields IMO.
Hey Joey!! My hunting buddy!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
139 Posts
What county in SW Ohio ? I lived in the SW Ohio region for almost 40 years.....
For whatever reason, there don't seem to be a great number of deer hunters (Ohio residents) in that area.

Also, honeysuckle is awful, grows absolutely everywhere in all types of soil in that area.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
What county in SW Ohio ? I lived in the SW Ohio region for almost 40 years.....
For whatever reason, there don't seem to be a great number of deer hunters (Ohio residents) in that area.

Also, honeysuckle is awful, grows absolutely everywhere in all types of soil in that area.
The property is in Butler county

1 - 17 of 17 Posts