Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some skein or eggs for a salmon trip on the 27th! Anyone have any salmon/steelhead eggs they want to get rid of or would offer up? you name the price! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Need some skein or eggs for a salmon trip on the 27th! Anyone have any salmon/steelhead eggs they want to get rid of or would offer up? you name the price! Thanks!
Hopefully someone will offer them up for free. It is illegal to sell salmon eggs in MI without a bait dealers liscense. That being said just stop by the Manistee fish cleaning station on the way up and bum some from the big lake boats. 90% are thrown away anyways.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just might hit a port on the way up. ill be fishing the pm so manistee is another 45 minutes from there. Hopefully someone has some to get rid of.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not to steal the thread but, is their any reason or law that would prevent me from taking a skein from the dumpsters in Manistee?

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Not to steal the thread but, is their any reason or law that would prevent me from taking a skein from the dumpsters in Manistee?
Short answer is no. Although I find it easier to just ask...LOL

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Go to the fish cleaning station the fishermen that are cleaning salmon are most happy to let you have some.
Aaron

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the offer fish-on. I had 2 gallon zip locks that I lost to the power outages this spring. Hopefully someone in my area will have some!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The dumpster at Tippy is the worst smelling dumpster in the state, it can be smelt from the lower parking deck.
Dumpsters..hell...did you happen to smell the makeshift bathrooms?? LMAO. A trip into the trees is much nicer!! :D:fish:

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
I have some coho skein from 2 weeks ago. Uncured and froze. How much ya need? I am located in Waterford area
wint

·
Registered
131 Posts
The DNR started a program with most bait shops - in order to ensure genetic diversity, they only take a small portion of the eggs from each of the brood stock fish.

They give the rest to bait shops for resale to fishermen (instead of throwing it in the dumpster). I am pretty sure that Gander Mountain participates in this program.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You mean this one KD?

7. A person shall not use or otherwise release Baitfish that are listed as Prohibited Fish Species, or Roe harvested from fish
that are listed as Prohibited Fish Species, in any public waters of the State, unless that person is fishing and those Baitfish
or that Roe are attached to a hook.

VHS positive management area

A person who catches Baitfish that are listed as Prohibited Fish Species, or harvests Roe from fish that are listed as
Prohibited Fish Species, in a body of water that is included in the VHSv Positive Management Area shall not use or
otherwise release those Baitfish or that Roe in any public waters of the State, except that those Baitfish or that Roe may
be used in any waters included in the VHSv Positive Management Area subject to Provision 7 above.

VHS surveillence management area

A person who catches Baitfish that are listed as Prohibited Fish Species, or harvests Roe from fish that are listed as
Prohibited Fish Species in a body of water that is included in the VHSv Surveillance Management Area shall not use or
otherwise release those Baitfish or that Roe in any public waters of the State, except that those Baitfish or that Roe
may be used in any waters included in either the VHSv Positive Management Area or the VHSv Surveillance
Management Area subject to Provision 7 above.
From the DNR Publication Understanding VHS Rules at:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/understandign_vhs_rules_238885_7.pdf

Straight from the horses mouth.

·
Registered
434 Posts
when I was up at Betise last weekend, the DNR guy did check people where they got their salmon egg from. and if you buy from the store (which in my opinion is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!), you'll get a slip/receipt proof that where that was coming from.

so use it at your own risk.

correct me if I am wrong, i am new at this, but people told me you supposed to kind of boiled the eggs (just a bit) before bag them for bait, am I right?

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
when I was up at Betise last weekend, the DNR guy did check people where they got their salmon egg from. and if you buy from the store (which in my opinion is VERY EXPENSIVE!!!), you'll get a slip/receipt proof that where that was coming from.

so use it at your own risk.

correct me if I am wrong, i am new at this, but people told me you supposed to kind of boiled the eggs (just a bit) before bag them for bait, am I right?
Sounds kinda fishy unless you preparing them for cure.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Are any of you folks concerned with the rules and regulations regarding VHS???
I have read about the rules Ken but I skeptical that a virus can be actualy passed by using fish eggs.
If there is some truth then wouldnt humans be suseptible to getting the virus by handling the eggs?

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
I just get some eggs from West side fish, for fishing west side tribs, and some eggs from east side tribs for fishing east side tribs. I know guys who fish both sides, and can trade pretty easily, which saves on gas. Gotta get some Erie Steel for skein to fish in Ohio, though. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts