Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
give prtymolusk a pm. hes made some the last 2 years at the pig roast and its the best home made ive had.

·
Super Moderator
11,752 Posts
Howdy, oj-

Why, thanks Bill! :eek:

No specific recipe, but it's not at all difficult.

Pico de Gallo (Literal translation is beak of the rooster.) Don't know how it got it's name, but it's also called Salsa Fresca, or fresh salsa......

You'll have to judge quantities...for the Pig Roast, I might buy 10~12 Romas, 1/2 dozen garden variety tomatoes, 8 limes, 2 bunches of cilantro, 2~3 chilies, 3~4 large Red onions. Garlic is optional and adds a nice touch. Not all might get used; I kind of judge as I'm working. It's important to note that you really can't screw this up; it will still be edible no matter what you may goof up....

Primary ingredient is tomatoes. Choose a variety if you like, but I prefer some Roma's (nice firm flesh) blended with the common garden variety. You're looking for nice, deep red, juicy ones! (Yes, this will be messy, so be sure to use a cutting board.)

Next is onion. Just my personal preference, but I use the Red Onion; gives a nice look, and isn't overpowering.

Plenty of FRESH limes!

Cilantro! You'll find this around the parsley in your grocery store (sometimes known as Chinese parsley.) Once you taste this, you'll recognise it as the ingredient in Mexican cooking that gives it the "Mexican" flavor.

Chilies. I use whatever is available, either singularly or in combination. Jalepenos are OK, I prefer serranos and/or habeneros. A word of caution: you can always add more, but you can't take 'em out once they're in. And remember that it get a bit hotter as it sits; I prefer to make the salsa a day ahead of time and refridgerate 'til I need it. Gives all the flavours a chance to blend....Further note: in decending order of heat they are habenero, serrano, and jalepeno. You can't substitute equal quantities for each other; it takes far less habenero than jalepeno to get an equivalent 'burn' going....

Chop tomatoes. Chunk 'em up. Don't worry too much about dicing, etc.

Chop onion. Ditto for dicing; it all tastes good.

Dice or mince cilantro.

Finely chop chilies. CAUTION! They will coat your fingers! The capsacin (the 'heat') is oil-based and very difficult to wash off! Try some lime juice, and avoid rubbing your eyes (or scratching other sensative areas.) :eek:

I frequently prepare all the stuff but chilies, then divide according to males/females and kids, and add chilies seperately. That way the guys can have the hot stuff, and the more timid can still enjoy the wonderful flavour without a trip to the emergency room!

Roll limes on counter, pressing down with palm of hand (to release juice.) Slice in half and squeeze over mixture. Be liberal with the limes...

Mix all, let stand in 'fridge, then enjoy!

PM me if confused or clarification is required.

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Tim’s Fresh Garden Salsa

6 medium vine ripened tomatoes chopped finely
2 medium green peppers seeded and chopped finely
2 jalapenos seeded and chopped finely
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 bunch fresh cilantro larger stems removed and chopped finely
4 tablespoons lime juice
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
Salt to taste, careful not to oversalt

Combine ingredients in bowl and mix well. Salt to taste. Do not oversalt.

Slightly undersalt if tortilla chips have salt on them. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I agree hangoo.
Meijer makes a Black Bean & Yellow corn salsa, its great. :)

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Making me hungry just reading this!! Looks like I will be mixing up some tonight!! I have all of that except cilantro growing in my garden :) Oh, no limes either LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,752 Posts
Howdy-

Kurt, one of the things I did when I lived in CA was plant a salsa garden in every house I lived in....

Several had lime trees already there; just added tomatoes, cilantro, onion, and a variety of chilie plants and voila! - instant salsa anytime!

My favorite place even had two large avocado trees; can you say 'guacamole' ?

Cilantro does very well here, BTW; I suggest planting in 10" ~ 12" flower pots and staggering plantings a few weeks apart; that way, you have fresh cilantro ready to harvest throughout the season.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the recipes, i really appreciate it. gonna whip some up for deer camp, again thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I love to make my own fresh salsa! Once you start making your own you wont ever want to eat the store bought kind again, although Garden fresh salsa Company of Ferndale does a good job, but it is fresh and must be refridgerated - the way all salsa is meant to be.

i usually start with 8-10 big beefsteak tomatoes, or any juicy tomato wil work. dice them as small as i can (need a very sharp knife), then one red onion, again diced very small, and an assortment of peppers depending on how much heat you want. a few good sized jalopenos makes it what i consider a medium/hot salsa, again diced small as i can. I dice a couple cloves of garlic. I prefer to go light on the cilantro. i then add half cup white vinegar, squeeze 1-2 limes, pinch of salt, a few grinds of peppercorns, good dose of cumin, little chili powder, mix and you have great fresh salsa. I usually end up with approx 9-12 cups of salsa.

some good variations can be made like using green tomatoes (tomatillos) instead of red, or roasting your peppers before you dice them which makes them less spicy. vidalia onions make a sweeter salsa or even adding a teaspoon of sugar works to make a slightly different taste.

Tip: cut the peppers after you cut the onion, you dont want to wipe your eyes after you have jalopeno juice on your hands, seriuosly you can hurt yourself!

CAUTION: Dont make this before going on a hot date, you and her will surely be very disappointed and very unlucky. I speak from experience. :eek:

Enjoy!!:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Salsa:

10 lg. tomatoes, diced
2 small red (spanish) onion, diced
10 green onions, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
3/4 c. finely chopped cilantro
3/4 c. red wine or white vinegar (I use 1/2 & 1/2)
juice of two limes

Combine all ingredients, chill and serve. Can also be frozen for later use.

Walligator

1 - 11 of 11 Posts