Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught a variety of fish this year and would like to try them all at least once. I have heard mixed feelings about eating sheepshead. Some love it and some throw them away. If anyone has a good recipe I would appreciate the help. Thanks

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Just start with the basics.Fry up a skinless boneless filet and go from there.

Reactions: nts93

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear you tried them. I will try them a few different ways I have quite a bit of fillets

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
I have tried them fried.They were pretty good.I would not turn my nose up to a fried sheepshead.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That would explain your screen name jk lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try it fried this week and let you know how I like it that way. I'm going to use my catfish recipe and my bass recipe just so I get two different flavor profiles. Then next week I'll try the boil. I'll let you know how it turns out

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,679 Posts
I haven't eaten sheapshead/freshwater drum since I was a kid and went fishing with my grandfather. I do seem to remember the meat not being as firm as from other fish.
On a side note, my first pair of cuff links when I was a kid was made by a family friend. She took the ear bone, also called a lucky stone, from the sheepshead we caught and made me a pair of cuff links. They are packed away, but when I dig them out I will post a picture.

Lucky Stone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_stone

Reactions: junkman and nts93

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I've heard crab boil is a good way too. They call it poor mans crab lol
That's the old line I have always heard, but was "poor mans Lobster"....boil and dip in butter....I have not tried it though, lol....as kids we cut out the "lucky stones" too.....couple years ago an old timer at the dock was trying to find them in a big SH and couldn't do it....I'll have to look at that link.....

I had a depression era uncle and he would eat any fish that came in the boat, not joking....as long as it looked healthy !....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Their Pretty darn good smoked, I have a buddy that has smoked a few and I was impressed. Because I Didn't know I was eating sheephead at the time!

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Tried that fry idea on one bigun we caught on the French River in Ontario. Decided to use the fillets to resole my work shoes. Might work better with smaller ones.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My son wanted to try one so we kept a small Drum out of Erie that went right on ice. I filet the lion out of the drum and cut it into small chunks. We fried it with walleye and perch. Truthfully it reminded me of frozen breaded shrimp. I was shocked how good
it was and have kept a few since. Get some interesting looks at the cleaning station with a Freshwater Drum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts