Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a preference on 22 mag ammo for Chucks
Have been shooting alot of wood chucks lately. I was wondering if there is a better bullet than a cci 40gr jacketed hollow point for chucks. I have been averaging about 125 yd kills. but its hard to judge the drop after 115 to 125yds. Will a 32gr remington polymere tip keep better flight? Or any suggestions.....

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Shoot what your rifle likes best; I get good groups at 100M [109 yards] with the Remington 33 gr Vmax load but the 40 JHP is the 'classic' 22 mag bullet.

Don't forget the Federal 50 gr JHP; tradeoff muzzle velocity for less windage and better downrange retained velocity.

The WMR is dropping fast at 120 yards; you really need to know your range regardless of bullet. Zero some groups at 110, 120, 130 yards to get the real picture.

Love my 77/22 mag but its stretching it at 125 yards.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Hornady 30 grain is flattest shooting at 2200 feet per second. To me, a higher degree of accuracy for optimum shot placement is the key to humane kills.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The Hornady 30 grain is flattest shooting at 2200 feet per second. To me, a higher degree of accuracy for optimum shot placement is the key to humane kills.
I've shot several chucks with the Hornady 30 gr. They flopped right there. Didn't even twitch. I can hit a 2" metalic chicken at 100 yards every time. Groups are under an inch with my Savage with standard barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts