Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone has to have tried this,
I have a spot where the birds are holding up. the shore is just too close to homes to set up the layout blind and be out of the safety zone.
I'm entertaining the idea of wadding in with the decoys, 3' of water, and kneeling down to armpit depth. with four decoys around me for some cover. skull cap on, face painted. Will the geese care about the black dot in the water?

Will the CO say I'm submerged all though not in a structure?

This should be fun....

(and no I don't have permission for the fields they are going too, that is not an option, at least for this season.)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I've got to admit, this is the first time I've ever heard of this one.......lol
I think ? The submerged will do you in...... Just a guess.......:)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't think there is any law prohibiting you from doing it, I'd just be worried that someone else might come sneaking along, see your decoys, and try water-swatting them (and you)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Guys on the east coast have been doing that same thing for decades now. They make a silo deke and have it on a long stake, push into the bottom and have a shelf for the shells and gun on the backside. They then adjust the deke as the birds work and then simply stand up and shoot........Good luck most of the guys out east use wet suits b/c standing, sitting in ice cold water for that long, waders will not do the trick. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Someone has to have tried this,
I have a spot where the birds are holding up. the shore is just too close to homes to set up the layout blind and be out of the safety zone.
I'm entertaining the idea of wadding in with the decoys, 3' of water, and kneeling down to armpit depth. with four decoys around me for some cover. skull cap on, face painted. Will the geese care about the black dot in the water?

Will the CO say I'm submerged all though not in a structure?

This should be fun....

(and no I don't have permission for the fields they are going too, that is not an option, at least for this season.)
I've done this for ducks and it worked. Not the most comfortable hunt I ever had.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Guys on the east coast have been doing that same thing for decades now. They make a silo deke and have it on a long stake, push into the bottom and have a shelf for the shells and gun on the backside. They then adjust the deke as the birds work and then simply stand up and shoot........Good luck most of the guys out east use wet suits b/c standing, sitting in ice cold water for that long, waders will not do the trick. Good luck. :D
Yep, aka "body booting"

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I've got the wet suit, and I think i can still wiggle into it.
I'll make that silo tonight and mount it to my mojo stake.

As for the water swatting , the land is private and I never have seen hunters there but be sure I will keep an eye out for them. If they are trying to make a swat from the private road it will be a long one and if they don't see me I'll have to do the diving merg tecnique that worked so well for those mergs yesterday.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Done it a bunch for divers...splashed myself on many occasions as birds died within 10' of me.

Geese...hmm....they seem to fly a bit higher....

·
Registered
951 Posts
Do you have permission to be on the private land?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
yep, as stated earlier, it's called body booting.

not the most comfortable hunt, but it can be very effective to be sure.

the set ups I've seen use a huge, oversized goose silhouette. on the back side, there was a small tray and hooks to hold the gun.

if you size it sight (huuuge) you don't really need the wet suit - it'd be no different than standing at the river mouths casting for steelies!

it does work. I've seen it done (and done it) for both geese and divers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe I don't understand what you are discribing. The hunting rights belong to the landowner in the pie shaped piece of water made by the ends of his property line to the center of the lake. No matter if you are in, on, or under the water. Forget about the safety zone you can't hunt any where in the pie shaped piece. You can't even float hunt a river anymore unless you have permission from the shoreline owners on BOTH sides of the river. Do a search on riparian rights.

What are you going to do with your shells, calls, gun and how do you retrieve dead or crippled birds?

Respectfully, Porch Dog

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have permission to be on the private land?
Posted via Mobile Device
you have permission from the adjacent private lands, you'll still be trespassing.
Maybe I don't understand what you are discribing. The hunting rights belong to the landowner in the pie shaped piece of water made by the ends of his property line to the center of the lake. No matter if you are in, on, or under the water. Forget about the safety zone you can't hunt any where in the pie shaped piece. You can't even float hunt a river anymore unless you have permission from the shoreline owners on BOTH sides of the river. Do a search on riparian rights.

What are you going to do with your shells, calls, gun and retrieve downed or crippled birds?

Respectfully, Porch Dog
Here this should help you guys

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308096

1 - 20 of 45 Posts