Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has found ice and wants a fishing partner let me know. Im looking to go out and catch some fish. The few bodies of water I have checked are not safe because of all the snow.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I was working on gun lake 12/3 and there was 6 guys fishing the channels.
Here in newaygo this weekend hopefully. Good Luck

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I'm guessing most everything but Reeds will be safe within a week, hell, with the forecast, maybe even Reeds as well.

Hopefully the bulk of the Lake effect hits N.W and S.W. of town like they are predicting....

·
Registered
617 Posts
SE MI is about ready, been on some smaller and shallower lakes for two weeks now but some of the better lakes are just about there.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Most of the lakes around Fremont are not fairing well with the 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground and right now its still snowing, light lake effect snow but still not good for making ice...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Down in the lower part of the mitten we got some rain last night that actually helped, now where hitting some lower temps that should complete the job on some of the bigger lakes. Snow is a bad thing for first ice I agree, I think this happened last year too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what lakes have safe ice?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
With the cold weather, I was hoping for safe ice this weekend. Unfortunately there is a lot of insulation falling from the sky, and I think those of us who aren't crazy, will have to way for the next weekend at least.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I may take a ride today and see if anything's going on.

Anybody else have any news?

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Does this look like good ICE making conditions? Don't think so.....

10 miles North of Fremont.......:dizzy::rant: Gotta be close to 24 inches on the level. Not good for making ice. Most of this came in the last 3 days. If there was ice around here I don't even think my griz 4X4 would make it far on a lake with this much snow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats alot of snow! It is snowing here in GR too. Way to much snow!!! All the lakes that I checked were no good and my buddy went out today and found no good ice. I would love to find some safe ice I cant wait to catch that first fish. Ive got everything together and charged up and ready to go but no ice. Just have to wait it out until someone finds safe ice and shares it with others.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Does this look like good ICE making conditions? Don't think so.....

10 miles North of Fremont.......:dizzy::rant: Gotta be close to 24 inches on the level. Not good for making ice. Most of this came in the last 3 days. If there was ice around here I don't even think my griz 4X4 would make it far on a lake with this much snow.
No kidding, that is a ton of snow! My mom and dad live on Sand Lake in Grant, and he said they've got a ton too. Not quite so bad in GR, but still a lot.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I may take a ride today and see if anything's going on.

Anybody else have any news?
Foot of snow here on the NW side of town, good news though, the snow stopped and now there's one HELL of a good NW wind hopefully blowing the snow off of any ice that's formed........

Long time no see, Sid!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was up in Manistique, and in the irons are from November 21-30, and Their was skims. on Indian lake, their was still some open water. But i was on Big Bass Lake, and it had a 1/2 to 1/4" skim all the way across, they'll be on up their shortly.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
after bird hunting today checked some lakes in newaygo county and Muskegon we have ice and guys on the ice:):)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Long time no see, Sid!
Hey Kush! Yeah, I'm finally in the RT program at school, so it's full time school, full time work, and full time Dad! Not much time to be hanging out here :lol:!

Not as much as a cube on Reeds yet, but Fisk is 75% covered. Hopefully some of the northern Kent County lakes will be good soon. We'll have to hook up this winter.

Take care.....Sid

1 - 20 of 23 Posts