Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to fish the bay for the first time next week, I want to fish for 3 or 4 days depending on the weather.. I am going to launch out of Sebewaing and run out to the channel that comes out of the Saginaw river because it seems deeper water is where the fish are right now..

Any advice for a bay rookie? Sounds like if you keep your baits running the bottom 4' of water should be the ticket.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
661 Posts
Slick,I too newibied it two weekends in a row. Two weekends ago I went out of sebewaing because it seemed a closer drive,69 to 24 all the way up.I didn't get to fish as much as I wanted because of the wind. After reading the reports,I decided to give this past sunday a try and decided if I were going to spend the money?I am just driving to linwood. I think out of linwood you have better access to more productive areas and to tell ya the truth it is only 20 more miles from my place in memphis and it is still quicker...69 to 75 (left my house @ 4:00 and we were on the water making progress @ 6:15. I tried inline boards for the first time off 3 rods and 1 rod st slair river style,we went 7 for 9 and only 1 was off the bouncer not ran on the board. You took me out a few summers ago and to return that favor I would let you borrow the inlines that I just bought from a guy here at work to see how you like them.If you were to puchase 4 offshore inline boards,you would be into it for about $140.00. Let me know,My august weekends are all filled with family plans.

Kn

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Hey Slick, call me when you have a chance.....I fished out of their a month ago.....

Mushy

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Slick, I will give you my freind Roland's # and you can find out up to date reports, gps #'s etc. He has been killing them out there. Al :chillin:

·
Premium Member
30,308 Posts
I am going to fish the bay for the first time next week, I want to fish for 3 or 4 days depending on the weather.. I am going to launch out of Sebewaing and run out to the channel that comes out of the Saginaw river because it seems deeper water is where the fish are right now..

Any advice for a bay rookie? Sounds like if you keep your baits running the bottom 4' of water should be the ticket.. Cya Slick
Might want to try the Sag. rivermouth as a place to launch since your not real familiar with the bay. Easy marked channel, and can see the bouys (spark plug) from either side of bay. You can head out past the spoils island, and head in either direction, East or West. I know last time out of Sebewing with Limige, there was a net out twards bouy #1 on East side a mile maybe from bouy. It was very poorly marked by only a couple jugs. Be careful. Not sure on westside of channel out that far. Just make sure to use boards to keep stuff away from boat unless your in deeper water (20' +), and around 1.5 with meat, and 2.2-2.5 for body baits and spoons. I'd run some up higher twards middle of the water column also until you find them.

·
Registered
15,434 Posts
I,m by no means an expert, but MOST of my fish have come a little higher, IMO 4-10' from bottom.I do like ralph said, run at different depths, and dial in.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys how is a 6mph wind out of the north or north east when your fishing the southern end of the bay? not bad or to rough when it blows across the lake like that.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Hey guys how is a 6mph wind out of the north or north east when your fishing the southern end of the bay? not bad or to rough when it blows across the lake like that.. Cya Slick
Thats the bad thing when you fish out of that Southern shore of the Bay......That is what i was going to tell ya.....Going out of Linden or any other ports out of West side get you out of the wind a little better......

Mushy

·
Registered
6,411 Posts

I wouldnt pass up the shallower water, I would make a stop and check it out!! 12 to 14 fow then if that doesnt pan out then head deeper!! Good Luck!!

Scott

·
Registered
73 Posts
Slick some friends of mine are fishing 1 1/2 miles out of sunset bay and still getting limits.1 1/2 ounce inline 30to40 back.Any color was working but purple was best. good luck

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
careful out of east side Slick..i broke a prop(good thing i run with at least 1 extra prop..lol) last week on way in when wave action got heavy(1 foot or less depth with occasional rocks a lot of east side inner bay)...p.s. lookout for big pike by sparkplug..took a 37 1/2 incher there last week..little skinny 13 1/2 pounds.......i was using gulp alive leeches(5 in) on crawler harness..the eyes seemed to like them as well as the crawlers!..p.s. you could try grindstone city for me..heard the eyes were good and the smallies outrageous...

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FLYING WASP Sorry I did not get back to you but I am all set with inline boards and such thanks for the offer.. I will be heading to my dads and the only way I will learn the bay with the wind factor is to get out and see how it is and if it's to rough on the southern shore launch I will head over to the west side of the bay and launch out of there..

I will be bringing all the weapons inline boards, small dipsey's, snap weights, harnesses, spoons, body baits, I also plan on running sliders off the inlines for the high fish in the water colume.. I will be reporting from my dads computer "DIAL UP" :dizzy::lol:, so pictures will be out of the question till I get back home..

Al D if you have some intell give me a shout on the phone.. Cya Slick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts