1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering....cant find squat about it on the web

thanks

koby

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have fished it 5-6 times over the last couple years,caught a few monster pike and bunch of small gill's.Said to have eye's,but I could not find them.
Poor ramp (no dock) pretty shallow, need to back in till your exhaust is under water.Nice lake,fishing's tough but with more time spent using different things I think a guy would have better luck than I had.
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
:fish:I grew up on this lake. There are walleye, but they are wily. There are huge pike (they are also wily), which are best caught ice fishing, but can be caught when they're not spawning. The lake is extremely low right now (June, 2013), which everyone is puzzling over. Not a record low, but pretty close. Usually, you can get into the south end without any trouble, but right now it can be dicey. That is where the bass are--both kinds. There's a multitude of panfish, perch, sunfish, but not much of any size. Possibly the pike eat the bigger ones. The west side has a couple of lily pad islands that are just over the dropoff. Good spot, but I'm not giving away the best time to fish it. The DNR plants seem to omit this lake for some reason. I guess the squeaky lake gets the fingerlings: Manistee, Bear, Big Twin, Blue, etc. More population (esp year-round) there to make noise. Just an opinion. Talked to a guy last week who got a walleye out of the lake that day (June 18, 2013). The lake requires a dedicated fisherman who is willing to put in some time, but I've given you some excellent clues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been on this lake for 30 years, fishing use to be pretty descent when the DNR was planting it with Walleye fingerlings, but they haven't for years. The lake Association treats the lake for weeds every summer and so there are maybe two weed beds on the entire lake not enough to hold descent fish, so no habitat, no fish we all know that. The only thing to catch anymore are the bass on the breaks, feeding on the tiny gills. The ramp is pretty nice now and there is a dock but the fishing is very very poor.

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Been on this lake for 30 years, fishing use to be pretty descent when the DNR was planting it with Walleye fingerlings, but they haven't for years. The lake Association treats the lake for weeds every summer and so there are maybe two weed beds on the entire lake not enough to hold descent fish, so no habitat, no fish we all know that. The only thing to catch anymore are the bass on the breaks, feeding on the tiny gills. The ramp is pretty nice now and there is a dock but the fishing is very very poor.
That does not get a lot of fishing pressure does it. I never fished it but have thought about it. In that area there are several small lakes but never see anyone fishing on them . Crawford lake the landing sucks big time

·
Registered
6 Posts
It gets some from the camp ground folks, but thats about it. The high speed boaters that live on the lake push it to the 7pm limit, but once it settles down it is descent to fish, but like i said, no habitat to keep the fish...very clear water...bass mostly on the breaks...some small gills...

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Crawford has some decent perch and gills in it if you can find them. The one time I was there were a lot of weeds and hard to fish. Never fished Manistee in the summer just in the winter

·
Registered
30 Posts
They’ve stocked a bit of walleye in 2015 and17 and 19. Maybe things will turn around?

·
Registered
30 Posts
They’ve stocked a bit of walleye in 2015 and17 and 19. Maybe things will turn around?
That does not get a lot of fishing pressure does it. I never fished it but have thought about it. In that area there are several small lakes but never see anyone fishing on them . Crawford lake the landing sucks big time
anyone ever fish the Selkirk lakes? In kalkaska?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts