Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recent reports for Michigan waters of Erie? I'm taking a buddy and his two sons (9 and 11) out tomorrow while their on spring break. My first trip of the year, and I usually wait until May to fish the brest bay area. I did ok trolling cranks during the fall, but fishing this time of year is new to me. Any information is appreciated. And if your going to be on the lake tomorrow and want to share info while on the water send me a PM.

· Registered
137 Posts
I was out with a buddy last Wednesday. 38+ degree water. Pulled cranks - bandits, smithwicks and husky jerks for hours - NADA - not even a bite. Was in the pack with 20 boats near Stony Pt and never saw a fish netted. We did hear from a few guys that a few fish were caught. I then made the trip up lake/up river all the way to the Trenton Channel and jigged for an hour - nothing. Saw one fish caught. Since then I've heard and seen some good reports for the mid-river. That's where I'd go tomorrow if I was you.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
I went sat and got one..... makered lots of fish must of been the weather i am in the river for the next 45 days then off to sag bay for the summer!

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We ended 4/5. Also caught a nice 18.5" small mouth that went back and a white bass. It was enough action to keep the boys happy. We fished just south of stony point in 20-21 ft. Bandits 25-45 back. The boys had a great time and we couldn't have asked for nicer weather.

The shakedown run shook out a few problems. I couldn't get my big engine to start. It started fine in the Driveway Friday, but didn't want to go at the lake. I'm 90% sure my starting battery is bad. It was on the charger for several days, and was only reading 12.2 V when I checked it after having tried to get the engine to start, probably only turned it over for a minute total. I have an Optimax and they require a lot of power to start. I think it could be that my gas bulb is going bad too, because I had to prime quite a bit even though I just primed it Friday. We ended up going out on kicker power, which we were lucky the weather was nice enough to allow for that. Then my Live well pump didn't turn on, I'll trouble shoot that later. Finally, on the way home my trailer license plate was lost on the highway. So, like I said, we had a few problems shake out.

Attachments

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Great job Rod Holder in tough conditions.

Shared info with RH only to find clear water in my area from Friday and sun was out with zero wind. Played the plan anyway. Gave up when RH called he had fish in the boat. Joined him only to have a Crestliner run up and set next to us. He janked 2 fish right away to our goose egg. Searched Fermi, dumping, banana, and then ran to Monroe Power when wind changed. Found a plume of dirty warm water and finally got the skunk out but that was it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.