Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering. i'm out in the woods a lot in the spring but i have never came across a turkey nest. they must do a good job of hiding them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I saw one a couple years back, but i think it was after the hatch, as the eggs were in pieces and parts. We had probably 12 or so little polts running up and down our driveway. Kinda cool

·
Registered
26,591 Posts
I've spooked hens off there nest accidently, didn't seaarch for it. Found one nest in the woods looking for mushrooms and found some egg shells another time.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
When comming out from hunting a place, I was following my buddy when he motioned for me to climb up the steep hill to get back to the car. He had walked up on a hen on a nest. She had flattend her self on the ground.

We took some pictures of her on the nest from the road. I could see her when ever I drove past. One day she was gone so I snuck down to check the nest. Some thing had found her and forced her off the nest. The eggs were broken and scattered all over the place:rant:

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
But the best was about 20 years ago, a nest I'd been watching on the side of the road. Watched it every day for two weeks the last week of June and first week of July-the road commission came through mowing, and mowed right over her head. She sat tight as she was in the last stages of nesting, and they don't move at all for the last 3-4 days until the eggs hatch. Sat there right through a terrible thunderstorm that could have drowned her and the nest.

On July 7, the eggs hatched. I got there right after the hen had left with two chicks. She was never around the entire time I was there-more than two hours. Just took the chicks and left without waiting to see if any more would hatch. She'd left several eggs behind, and while I was there one of them moved. So I sat down, and right in front of me it hatched. By that time another one was starting to hatch. After a couple of hours it was apparent that I was now the mother hen to two little chicks.

Called the DNR, got a permit over the phone, and transported them to a friend's incubator that raises chickens. They stayed there overnight with a chicken hen. The next morning the chicken hen took them outside, and started showing them around. They grabbed their first bug right in front of me and my friend. She stayed with those chicks for several weeks, then we took them to a wildlife rehabber who kept both of them until they were adults. The next spring they walked into the wild, and were never seen again.
A little jake and a little hen.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
What an incredible experience Linda. That is something I would never forget either.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Sure have.A couple years ago a hen made her nest between the feild edge and the woods in some tall weeds and briars. Didn't know she was there untill I spooked her one day, not sure who got the bigger scar her or me. Well I looked in the nest and she had 12 eggs that she was sitting on. Tried to keep an eye on her to make sure nothing happened to her but I failed. One night after dark a yote or something came in and killed her and the eggs were all distroyed. I knew when I saw feathers scattered all over at the edge of the feild what had happened but what are ya going to do, can't pen them up or set watch 24/7. Mother Nature can be a witch at times.

·
Registered
779 Posts
wow cool pics, i hope that some of my new found sport in trapping this year might help some of the local wildlife, although i didnt take any large predators i did take a few out of the wild

·
Registered
565 Posts
i have had a couple encounters with nests in our hay fields. unfortunately we hit one with the haybine destroying all the eggs and killing the hen but after that we have kept an eye out for them and managed to go around and save a couple nests

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have seen 2. One was in a big patch of raspberries. That one had really good protection. The eggs were hatched.

The second one was last year in my cedar swamp. I spooked the turkey while I was checking my fenceline. The nest had 10-12 eggs and was on a small high spot in the cedars. I checked a month later and there was nothing. No turkey or egg shells. That spot has alot of raccoon, possum, coyotes. She picked the same spot that I hunt in the winter. Another month later there were turkey feathers all over.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I guess I should add that the nest was less than 20 ft from the road.
When I pulled up there and parked to go hunting before daylight , I heard her fly up from the ground ( not out of a tree ) and that seemed strange. When I came back to the truck , that is what I found. Later that day , I took the wife to show her and when we drove by real slow , the hen was on the nest. A friend of mine , who's on the road every day , checked on her about twice a week. When he didn't see her anymore , he checked and they had all hatched.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
yes i found one on state land in a thicket right beside a corn Field plated for the birds. i was within 2 feet of her and she just layed their. a little further down a seen two coyts. checking the thicket out and chased them away. on my way out of the wood i walked by it again and she was gone and had 12 eggs laying their. i left it alone figuring she was out eating

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
right out side our office window here at work (yes, I'm supposed to be working now). She's hanging around and looks like she's going to attend the nest.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
While picking morel's a few years ago we spooked a turkey off her nest.We checked the same spot for morel's a week later and her egg's were all destroyed.She must not have come back to the nest or a predator must have scared her off and ate her egg's.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I actually set up within 10 feet of a setting hen, never seeing her.After 4 hours of calling on and off,I flushed her when getting up to move.I don't know how she could stand all that noise I was making. 13 eggs in a very unconspicuous nest.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes i have seen several nests, been pretty close to a few calling just like you. Never worked for me to wait and see if a tom comes by though.. But definitly neat to see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts