Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever hunted NW Ohio, say along the turnpike corridor from Toledo to the OH/IN state line? Might have an opportunity to hunt the area next year. Wondering if the deer are thick as thieves there or not.

I wouldn't imagine the hunting approach is any different from southern Michigan. Flat agricultural land with oaks, crops, and the usual water sources such as creeks, ditches and ponds.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Plenty of deer, but not too thick. Hard to say what kind of ground you have access to, but a lot of it is flat and open. I don't hunt that area so my observation is from the road. Seems like lots, and lots of small ponds, sparce fence rows and small woodlots. Small pockets of rolling terrain/ravines etc. That area gives up a few big bucks every year though and their are lots of deer in the burbs around the cities.
I would give it a try! License fee isn't too bad either....you have to buy a sportsman license and then you can buy your tag....If I remember correctly, under $150 total.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
In Williams County, the further north and west you go, the better it looks. Right nearby where the three states come together is a pretty good area. Generally, lower deer density than you'll find in southern lower Michigan, though you'll have a better shot at a mature buck. I know a couple guys that hunt and own land over there, and they see a greater number of mature bucks there than they do only a short distance north up in Hillsdale County.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hunt the area every year (because I live there), I would check the place out well before buying the tag. In my opinion, you would be better off hunting southern michigan or southern ohio (where the big deer and deer numbers are). NW ohio is hit or miss, alot of unfriendly property owners and big open fields with small wood lots, makes hunting hard. IF gun hunters are driving everyones woods, pushing the deer out of the little pockets of woods, your luck would be good, but other than that, you would be better off saving your money. Maybe your spot is a little hot spot so check it out. I have had a few hots spots over the years in the area.

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kroppe,

I hunt and live in the area as well. What area are we talking about specifically? When you say NW Ohio along the Turnpike, we're talking about a pretty big area (~80 miles in length by ~1-2 miles in width). As you know if your an experienced hunted, any county in any region of the country will have varying degrees of whitetail densities. For example, you can find pockets of good deer numbers in any county in the Mid West but find more spots where you would never see a deer if you hunted for two weeks straight in the same county. Anyways, comparitively speaking NW OH is sparse as far as deer numbers compared to Southern Michigan. The quality of the Bucks is as good or better just for the fact that in Ohio you can only take one antlered animal per season and this has always been the law. That's why Ohio is quickly becoming known for producing world class animals. You could go out to the Ohio department of Wildlife's web site and see what the region produces year in and year out. That's another difference between Michigan and Ohio. Ohio does a better job keeping track of what is harvested. You must take a deer harveted to a check station to get it tagged.

I lease property in this area and I plant food plots so I see ok deer numbers and some nice bucks(140-160" with an occasional 180" class), but again this is because of management practices. Hope this info helps.

Ghotdog 1 what county do you live/ hunt in?

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Ohio has been divided into three zones for deer hunting - you may want to look at the map on the Ohio DNR site. NW Ohio is part of Zone A, which is where the lowest deer densities are in the state. Much of Zone A, as Swamp Monster said, is quite open and flat with limited woodlands and cover. However, there are definitely honey holes scattered throughout NW Ohio as well.

I lease in Williams County in extreme northwest Ohio where FarmLegend referenced. The deer population is lower there than in Hillsdale County, which is just a couple of miles away. There is a better buck/doe ratio than anywhere I've hunted in S. MI, and the area offers good opportunities for mature bucks. Last year my 11 year old son killed a beautiful 2 1/2 year old that scored 115 several miles away from there in Indiana. I missed a 130 class buck there last year during archery season, and there is a very nice mature buck still roaming the area we hunt right now. In all, NW Ohio doesn't begin to compare to SE Ohio, but select portions of NW Ohio do compare very favorably with anywhere in MI.

Aside from that, I really like Ohio's season structure and timing and regulations. I love the timing of their firearms season (begins the 1st Monday after Thanksgiving and runs for 7 days). I really love the fact that their archery season runs through January- January cold weather archery hunting is a blast. The one buck limit definitely has a positive influence on the number of mature bucks in the state. And finally, I absolutely love the fact that there's no minimum age limit for children. My twelve year old son has been hunting for three seasons now in Indiana and Ohio, my nine year old son started small game hunting this past fall and this afternoon I'm taking him on his second deer hunt in Ohio. Personally, I really enjoy hunting in Ohio and am thankful that the geographic proximity permits me to do so.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Jk, Good luck with the Muzzleloader if your able to get out...couple days away! And good luck with the bow if you attempt to keep at it in January!

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The area I'm looking at is west and south of the Toledo airport, roughly within a 30 minute radius. There are some woods and a creek on the land, but not sure how big the woods are.

The OH gun season timing is the same as PA, except PA is 2 weeks vs. 1 week for OH.

I may hunt the OH land just to see what it is like, probably during archery. Probably will stick to MI during the gun season, as it is more of a known commodity to me.

I hear ya on eastern Ohio in general, it looks awesome when I drive through. The Youngstown area up to Cleveland has lots of woods and streams. On my way to hunt in MI this year, I hit a deer on I-80 on November 13. Saw a ton of deer along the sides of the road, as well as alot of road kill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
GNU, I live in Toledo now, grew up in perrysburg township. I grew up hunting all over wood county, and had spots along the river after fort miegs for bow, and would hunt in drive parties in perrysburg township for gun, also spots in lucas, williams and henry. For the last 4 years I have been hunting in defiance county on 120 acres of private land. Like all my areas even that spot is starting to dry up, and surrounding properties that we were once able to hunt are now posting no hunting, and not giving out permission. The deer now hold up in these areas. Too many hobbie farmers moving into the county who don't understand hunting.

I live along the turnpike now, but in the city limits. Every evening I have a 160-170 10 point buck eating in my yard, along with 4 does. It suck living in the city.

As for your comments on Ohio vs. Michigan deer management I totally agree. Michigan only needs only to look south to see how to manage deer correctly. I have never understood the 2 bucks and no check policy in michigan. I would rather see nice big bucks and fewer does, than 20 does and a sick looking little buck.

What county do you hunt in ohio?

·
Registered
64 Posts
sence you live in perrysburg. why have,nt you ever hunted in oregon,oh before i moved from there. i,d go off of brown rd,behind the truck stops on 280

·
Registered
43 Posts
Never had a spot on the eastside. I hunted more south-west. Had some spots by rossford off 795, but that's as far east.

Did you have any luck back there, I am always looking for close spots?

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Hey guys what do you guys know about the areas around Fremont Indiana?? I may have an in on some land around there. That is in the NorthEast part of Indiana and almost in the same spot as some of you are talking about. I am going to see it as soon as hunting season is over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
]off 795 to 280 behind the trk stop is a r,r crossing, many sets of woods. used to deer,and bunny hunt, left the east side 5yrs ago, but have family there, all deer hunters.also ck, with swantucky in the ohio form, should head you in the right direction around the eastside or so, good luck and be safe

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
mich buckmaster said:
Hey guys what do you guys know about the areas around Fremont Indiana?? I may have an in on some land around there. That is in the NorthEast part of Indiana and almost in the same spot as some of you are talking about. I am going to see it as soon as hunting season is over.
I've never deer hunted the area, but dove hunt there every year. I have seen a fair number of deer, and some pretty decent bucks on some of the state managed lands while dove hunting. I've even been kicking around a day or two of hunting down there this January to get the most out of my license.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
mich buckmaster said:
It's an excellent area - you'll like what you see.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I love the area around Fremont. IMO, better than anything you'll find in Michigan. Generally more deer than you'll find in Williams County, OH, and certainly better buck age structure and doe:buck ratio than we Michiganders are accustomed to. Because Indiana has a younger deer hunting "culture" than we have, Hoosier hunters never developed the sort of stigma about shooting does that's still present here.

In terms of geography, terrain, etc., much of Steuben County, IN is very similar to much of Hillsdale County, MI. Through it runs the regional landscape ecosystem identified by the USGS as "Ann Arbor Moraines", a long (120 miles), narrow (10-24 miles wide) band running from NE Indiana up into NE Lapeer County, Michigan.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/1998/rlandscp/michmap1.htm

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Thanks, because from what I have heard this farmer is ready to take hunters for the first time, and might get my hands on it. He says there are too many deer and they are killing his trees by rubbing on them and they are tearing the place up. HA HA, I told him I can help with that............

I am keeping my fingers cross.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts