Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Anyone Caught Burbot in St. Clair River?

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  salmon_slayer06 
#1 ·
I saw one caught last spring by accident. But I don't know how often people catch them.

#3 ·
stinger63 said:
I have never seen them caught in the 4 years that I have fished there.I think though that spring would be the time they would most likely be caught.I have caught in Lexington about 5 years ago.I had no idea what it was at the time.
The one I saw caught was in Port Huron. Some one may try to toss a hook with a dead smelt on the bottom of the St Clair River to see IF there are some Burbot.

If there is too much ice in the river in January/February, you can drop the bait right against the sea wall.

#5 ·
those smelt should be on that little grill you guys take to the wall with ya... ;)

arron, gonna be movin so wont be doin much for a short time unless we get some good ice, then i gotta take a "back relaxing day" for some ice fishin.. gimme a yell, let me know wats goin on, gonna have to get you down here for some ice fishin....

#6 ·
fishingrookie said:
The one I saw caught was in Port Huron. Some one may try to toss a hook with a dead smelt on the bottom of the St Clair River to see IF there are some Burbot.

If there is too much ice in the river in January/February, you can drop the bait right against the sea wall.

I know that they catchem through the ice up in Caseville during the month of febuary.They are night time feeder and they are in close for spwning time I believe.There have been a few articles about fishing for them on the main page of the site.Hopefully I`ll be able to make up and try for them this year.By the way the river temp as this am is 40*

#8 ·
I catch them quite frequently when I am fishing for Lake trout (not in the river). Set up a tipup with a grey on it. Dead or alive doesnt matter. Suspend a tiny glow stick a few inches above the minnow. Place the minnow between two and six inches off bottom, Water at least 45 feet deep. Last year this method caught me more burbotts than laketrout. Some guys that try to catch them will chum thier holes with dead minnows from the bait shop. Use the same method as you would whitefish fishing with the coffee can. Litter the bottom with the dead minnows and place yours in the mix. I warn you I had a difficult time eating the one I cooked last year. Nasty lookin buggers. I couldnt get past the slime. If your lucky you might catch some tasty lakers or splakes as well.

#9 ·
unclecbass said:
I catch them quite frequently when I am fishing for Lake trout (not in the river). Set up a tipup with a grey on it. Dead or alive doesnt matter. Suspend a tiny glow stick a few inches above the minnow. Place the minnow between two and six inches off bottom, Water at least 45 feet deep. Last year this method caught me more burbotts than laketrout. Some guys that try to catch them will chum thier holes with dead minnows from the bait shop. Use the same method as you would whitefish fishing with the coffee can. Litter the bottom with the dead minnows and place yours in the mix. I warn you I had a difficult time eating the one I cooked last year. Nasty lookin buggers. I couldnt get past the slime. If your lucky you might catch some tasty lakers or splakes as well.
Despite their ugliness and slime the burbot is in the cod family and a very good eating fish.Probaly much better than a laker to eat but dont even go there.I`ll eat a burbot any day that I can catch one when ever that is? :help:

#14 ·
A few years back some buddies of mine would fish the Saginaw River at Night for Walleye. They would regularly catch burbot and even the occasional whitefish. So I'd imagine they would still be there. I Fished them up in the Sault when the river would freeze over good (Usually Feb.) right below the locks. It was pretty much non-stop action up there. Would fish from 10 pm on. Also have caught them unintentionally through the ice in Saginaw Bay off Au Gres, Munuscong Bay, and the Bay at Hessel....