Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we just canned 10qrt of green beans last night.
noticed i screwed up by only filling the jar halfway up with water in 2 of them.
(can't blame that on the wife)
dang

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Green beans, tomatoes/potatoes and salsa soon, blanched corn on the cob vac packed after that, then salmon. Have jars, rings, lids and bags ready to go.
I wish I had the time to do preserves and apple butter,but I barter enough of the salsa to take care of my sweet tooth.

Good luck and good eats,
J

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
we just canned 10qrt of green beans last night.
noticed i screwed up by only filling the jar halfway up with water in 2 of them.
(can't blame that on the wife)
dang
Jimbo - When did you get your beans in?? I gambled on putting some in early, (we had the last frost 2 days before they popped through) ... but I'm still a week away on picking.

We put up beets last night and some straw/rhubarb jam earlier. Blasted deer have been keeping my peas "mowed" back and I won't get enough to freeze.:sad:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i believe i planted my early contenders in the 3rd week of april.
then some blue lake 274 on mothers day. those are 2-3 weeks away yet.
this is only my third yr of canning. i now believe i didn't screw my lids on tight enough & the water boiled out on the pressure cooker. I canned another 4 qt last night. & i have another row to pick again

peas-- i just pulled my plant out saturday. they were good while they lasted

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I forget you are quite a bit south. I'm pretty much on par with you then ... I planted a BL cross the week before Mothers day and should have beans at the end ot the week. You are just able to get yours in the ground that much quicker than I.

I may put in some fall peas ... if I can find the seed.

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
Hey Ed
Did you get any of that hail in the middle of the night like we did in Howard City. I was afraid I would find shredded plants this morning but no significant damage.
I was in Lake City and the yards and streets in south part of town were covered with leaves the hail took down. North part of town had little to no damage.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hey Ed
Did you get any of that hail in the middle of the night like we did in Howard City. I was afraid I would find shredded plants this morning but no significant damage.
I was in Lake City and the yards and streets in south part of town were covered with leaves the hail took down. North part of town had little to no damage.
Naah ... nothing too ugly here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts