Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Release

Now at last, a diver that actually resets itself. No more reeling in yards and yards of line every time the diver is accidentally tripped. Simply lift the rod tip, and then quickly lower it to create slack in the line. This then causes the line to slacken and the diver's magnetic release resets itself. It can be adjusted for light or heavy strikes. All you do is slide the metal plate forward or back to change the sensitivity of the release.

Advantages:

There are more advantages to this than the obvious, when you stop to think about it. How about when fish are stacked from shallow to deep and you would love to fish at variable depths? Just trip the diver at, say 40 feet. It will automatically start to surface, thereby hitting the fish at 30, 25, even 10 feet. Then reset, and go back through those fish as it dives. This is a simple technique because the diver resets while it is in the water.

How about those times of the year when to fish are either shallow or sitting on the bottom? No problem. Let Kastaway's Diver down until it hits the bottom, reel in some line, reset and try again. Keep this up until the diver just skims the bottom.

Both of these techniques were impossible with divers of the past. Is seemed that all we did was reel, reel, reel, get the diver in hand and reset it, then let out the line again.; What happens next? Usually it would trip again and you would have to repeat that process all over again.

Direction

Fish directly behind the boat, or adjust the diver to troll to the left or the right. Kastaway's Diver has a unique "positive position lock" which insures that the diver will stay on track, and not slip out of position and tangle other lines. You can actually hear and feel this as you "click" the dial into position, and know that it is securely locked in place.

Depth

As is the case with all divers, the depth is controlled by the amount of line let out behind the boat, and the size of the diver that you are using. Below is a chart showing the depths achieved using the various sizes of discs and amount of line let out.

With 200 feet of line out, the Standard (3 5/8") at directional setting "1" (straight), dives to a depth of 50'.

The Magnum (4 3/4") at directional setting "0" (straight) with 200' of line out, dives to 60'.

The Super Magnum (5") at directional setting "0" (straight), 200' of line out, dives to a depth of 70'. These are the maximum depths achieved with these divers. To troll at a lesser depth, simply let out less line. Each Diver comes with a depth chart that shows how deep the diver goes according to how much line is let out, and what directional setting the diver is on.

Special Features

Sound - Built into Kastaway's Diver is a rattle. Not only does it produce a fish calling sound, but it gives the appearance of an "eye" on the diver, which then gives it the appearance of a baitfish. Every fisherman knows that a rattling sound travels very well through water, and only helps to increase your odds.

Sight - Bright colors can not help but catch the fishes' eye, and thereby increase your chances of hooking the fish. Much research has gone into the the selection of colors, and Kastaway's Diver offers a good selection of colors to meet any fishing situation. Every day brings different conditions, and fisherman must be ready to meet the challenge. We also have subdued colors for fisherman who believe that the diver should blend in with the water. The easiest way is to experiment with color, and to have a selection on board to choose from. This gives you the edge you need to catch more and larger fish.

We even have replacement discs so that you are able to change the disc color so that you do not have to replace the entire diver when you want to change the color.

Scent - Here is another way Kastaway's Diver will help you catch more fish. Coming from the same company that manufactures the revolutionary Kodiak Scent products, Kastaway's Diver comes equipped with a special scenting pad, which makes it easier to apply Kodiak Paste, which is available in many baitfish scents, directly onto the diver. What could be easier?

Colors and Pricing

Standard Colors

* Black
* Chartreuse
* Clear

* Green
* Orange
* Purple

Standard - $10.95
Magnum - $11.95
Super Magnum - $12.95

Replacement Discs with weight - All Sizes - $4.95

Metallic Colors

* Chrome
* Gold

* Green
* Purple

Standard - $11.95
Magnum - $12.95
Super Magnum - $13.95

Replacement Discs with weight - All Sizes - $6.45

Specialty Colors (Hand Painted)

* Watermelon

Standard - $12.95
Magnum - $13.95
Super Magnum - $14.95

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have been buying these from Joe and running them on my boat for several years. They are by far the best dipsy's out there!!

I just wish he would make a much smaller version so I could use them more for walleye.

Captain Jay

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
These are not new. I have been running them for about 10 yrs now. I won't let a Luhr Jenson Diver on my boat.

The only complaint that I hear about them is that some say it will reset itself while fighting a fish........ and it will, if your a beginner. If your having it reset on you, then your giving the fish slack line at that is a big NONO.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yep they have replaced my Luhr Jensen dipseys too!! I've run them exclusively for several years now. Just remember to check them occaisionally after a bite, in the past we have reset them only to find later (fortunately, not much later) we were missing, or had fowled our bait.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about them from the guys that use them, I ordered a couple and hope to use them this season and see which prefer better, Luhr Jensen or Kastaways...should be fun

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
You can also order them thru me.

10,838 Posts
I field tested the magnetic divers on salmon years ago when they first came on the market and could not seem to get a bit on them. I tested them side by side with Dipsys; the Dipsys produced and the magnetic ones failed to get bit even with the same baits. It wasn't running depth or a particular side of the of the boat eithor as I varied things in my testing to eliminate any chance. There was something about the magnetic divers (at least the ones I tested) that repelled salmon. I will say that the magnetic mechanism worked very well though. To be fair, the ones I tested were prototypes and I'm not sure if the ones in production work differently because I have not used them since my original tests. And if you are wondering, I have never been paid a dime by any manufacture for my recomendations on any products.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
I have been ordering them for people for about 6 yrs now and have never accepted a dime from Joe. I do it just because its hard for people to find them, and I make it a bit easier to get them in their hands.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I've said again and again that they're great and I love them. They're a sponsor of the Summer Salmon Fishing Tournament too.

I've never had one reset itself while fighting a fish unless the fish went airborn, and unlike LJ dipseys, I've never had troubles with them not releasing either. The only downside is that LJ has a much better variety of colors.

I did have maybe two problems with steelies out of St. Joe resetting them while jumping, which is really unavoidable. They tripped again pretty quickly though. I've pretty much done away with that problem by going to 2, 3, and 5 color cores on planer boards in those situations instead of running a small dipsey at "3" and 100 feet out just to get it away from the boat.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Spanky is correct, I've gone to cores instead of divers. I can run 3 planers and in-lines off each side of the boat in calm seas. The trick is just to keep them progressively shallower the more outboard you get, or you'll get tangles as you re-set. If it's a deep bite you can easily run dipseys and in-lines, you just need to dial the dipseys to a deeper setting. "1" is about perfect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.