Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used some last year, they have to be the not cooked ones. just put small pieces on. hard to keep on the hook. i think its the smell.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
That was the secret bait in the UP when my parents had their place in Cedarville, lil cocktail or popcorn shrimp.(can't remember but smallest ones possible).
Minnows were so expensive and hard to get so someone tried this and it worked.
I could never find them near regular shrimp and found around the cocktail sauces FYI.
EDIT: called Mom and she said they were called SALAD SHRIMP.
She said believe Dad tried on Erie but can't recall the results

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've used them for perch while ice fishing in the past (Yes, I used to go ice fishing). They worked great as bait.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It is a bit funny to use “bait” that is $8.99 a pound to catch essentially free fish, but I admit to having tried shrimp for ice fishing. Mousies were cheaper and stayed on the hook a lot longer.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Take the first white perch you catch, scale it, fillet, then cut into small thin strips. Place hook through the skin..

Smelt works even better when cut the same way.
What is a 'white perch'?? A white bass// Wife bought some at Meijer last week. I didnt eat...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Saw the roof or trolling what they Budweiser can,lol Definitely gonna have to try some little tiny shrimp if they're not working call some on the heater For an afternoon snack. Anybody try little cat food, They like it that's all I'm gonna say.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used to keep a can of salad shrimp (the can is the size of a can of tuna) in my boat for days that Salmon were not hitting and the perch were around. A Boy Scout style can opener taped to the can provides an easy way to open it when needed. They used to work pretty good on yellow perch on the early 2000's when I first started fishing in my own boat. I have not tried them in many years but I cannot imagine the perch would not like them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It is a bit funny to use “bait” that is $8.99 a pound to catch essentially free fish, but I admit to having tried shrimp for ice fishing. Mousies were cheaper and stayed on the hook a lot longer.
Lol, after spending $10,000's on boats and gear, we're going to worry about $10 of shrimp? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I used to keep a can of salad shrimp (the can is the size of a can of tuna) in my boat for days that Salmon were not hitting and the perch were around. A Boy Scout style can opener taped to the can provides an easy way to open it when needed. They used to work pretty good on yellow perch on the early 2000's when I first started fishing in my own boat. I have not tried them in many years but I cannot imagine the perch would not like them.
Took some can shrimp to Simcoe a couple years ago. Wanted to try it. Can't remember what kind though they were in a small tuna can. Turned out they were like mush couldn't put them on a hook. Back when I was stationed in Georgia late 80's early 90's bought Jumbo fresh shrimp was cheap back then. Guys would sell them fresh along the coast. Those were great for staying on the hook. And the bonus is you could eat any leftover bait...:cool:

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
On topic but wrong board, grew up on on a brookie stream.. Ran into a guy full creel, pulled a bag of salad shrimp out said they work wonders. Still 25 years later ain't tried

·
Registered
457 Posts
What is a 'white perch'?? A white bass// Wife bought some at Meijer last week. I didnt eat...
A white perch is not a perch at all. They are a member of the yellow bass family and are invasive in Lake Erie. Heard the DNR planted them for another game fish, but I think they probably just came through the Welland canal. Tried shrimp on bluegill and ponded them sometimes, luck with perch has not been productive. Mostly caught white perch. Have banged the perch on white perch strips.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts