·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see any during gun season?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I saw one not far from my buddies camp in late October. We wistled from the truck and it stopped. I think dad wanted to give it lead poisoning, but I convinced him otherwise. ;) We saw a female with 4 pups cross his camp driveway this summer. It was neat to see, but they aren't seeing many deer around their camp this year. Hmmm, I wonder why?

Joe

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
One of the guys I work with saw three near Newberry and said the hunting was terrible. We saw fresh tracks on Wednesday morning near Pickford, four of them running together, hunting by us was terrible too, maybe just a coincidence.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Skandia area:

This was the first year in the past four that we didn't see any tracks. Supposedly the govt. took action on the large farm close to our property, so that probably has something to do with it. That and they're not real popular with the locals.......(not at shot at yoopers)

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,447 Posts
2004: Wolf in the bear bait in September (pic in my gallery), numerous tracks during deer season, and very few deer sightings

2005: No wolves or their tracks observed and we've seen 8x the number of deer so far - still a lot of hunting to do, of course

Coincidence? I'll err on the side of caution and just say I'm going to keep collecting data over the next few decades, God Willin'

·
Registered
958 Posts
Saw one while hunting near Ely Township (Just south of Ishpeming) in 2002. Saw one just East of Munising this year on the Night of the 13th, crossing the road.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Saw (1) last year and lots of tracks. Didn't see any this year or any tracks. Lots of snow this season too, so it wouldn't have been hard to see if they were moving around. Our camp is near the Iron / Dickinson county lines.

nymph

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Rico said:
Yup, triple S
But remember not to post about photos at deer camp of one shot last year. :dizzy:
I thought he meant someone shot a wolf last year too. I had to read it a few times [hey it's late]. Hopefully I am taking it the right way that they just took a photo of one last year and it wasn't a pic of a wolf 'taken' last year;) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
don't wolves and other predators take the easier prey to kill, while most hunters are hunting for the best of the species? i.e. large rack, or large animal. resulting in healthier "prey" populations?

·
Registered
642 Posts
tela99 said:
don't wolves and other predators take the easier prey to kill, while most hunters are hunting for the best of the species? i.e. large rack, or large animal. resulting in healthier "prey" populations?
I don't think many people on this site would see it that way. It just doesn't seem to be the mentality in MI. Judging by most of the opinions I have heard, they seem to think the wolves are killing off a lot of the deer (and livestock/pets). Kind of boggles the mind as to how 400 wolves can have such a negative effect on the deer population in the UP, yet there are hundreds of thousands of people hunting deer every year in the LP and there seems to be plenty of deer to go around. MI is not really a pro-wilderness state and it really can't be, it's too overpopulated. Its too bad, but that's just the way it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.