Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dillemma.

I live in the Bark River area and I can have 25 tons of powdered lime delivered to my property. The thing is, it's $33 a ton and I don't need 25 tons since that is the minimum. I am looking for someone to go half if they have a way to haul it, I have a way to load it. That would be about $415 for 12 1/2 tons of lime. Anybody interested? You can email me at [email protected]. I live 8 miles south of the caution light in Bark River, or about 3 miles off of M35 in Ford River Township. The lime is being shipped from Green Bay, Wi, since that's the closest place. If I bought powdered lime in bags, it's about $70 a ton and pelletized lime is about $120 a ton, and I would have to pick up the lime. I'm counting on you guys because I can't get this load unless I can find someone to go half with me. Nothing like a little pressure. :) I just don't have the money and I really don't need 25 tons for myself. Thanks

Brad

10,812 Posts
Where did you get your lime? My camp is in the Perkins area. I need a lot of lime for a new, large plot I put in last year (more than 12 tons).

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was wondering if you did a soil sample? We hunt / farm in Stephenson and we never need to lime our fields because of all the limestone.

Just wondering???

Rob

10,812 Posts
Taxidermist said:
I was wondering if you did a soil sample? We hunt / farm in Stephenson and we never need to lime our fields because of all the limestone.

Just wondering???

Rob
If you're asking me, yes I have done soil tests. I know of people down the road a few miles that have neutral soils and don't need lime. My plots were carved out of the woods though and my soil is acidic. I have plenty of lime stone too, but my pH is still low.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tests showed 5.1. I still have more returning yet. The only thing is, 23 tons is actually the minimum you can order and have delivered. I went through Ray's Feed Mill in Bark River and they have to call Green Bay to have it shipped. It's $15 a ton if you pick it up and it's an additional $18 a ton to have it delivered. I have no way of getting it here. You have to pick it up in Green Bay. They deliver right to your property. My soil is sandy. My Father in law in the Arnold area has 7.0 and 7.1 soil with absolutely no lime every added to his plots. He is so lucky. He has nothing but Jack Pines on his property so I was surprised. Soil tests are very important indeed. I rotate mine about every 2 or 3 years but I do it every year until I get a field to where I want it. Anyway, there are several people interested but the offer still open. If you know other people that will go in on it with you, it will be cheaper for you of course. Lime doesn't go bad. Just get's hard if it gets too wet. I'm sure I will be using some next year too but it will be protected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts