Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Anybody jigging the river yet?

74903 Views 412 Replies 83 Participants Last post by  Deer Slayer
Buddy said he read a couple reports on Facebook where guys have limited near the mouth. Usually see a couple reports around this time even if they are, “ should be in any day now” reports. Big boat put away time to start jigging.
Thanks Jason
361 - 380 of 413 Posts
Fished bay city area. Catching fish is the easy part. Catching keepers is the challenge. Ended up with 10 keepers today.
Curious if you're casting or vertical. Thx
Took me a bit to find a pod of active fish this morning, but grinded out 5 fish. 16-18 inchers. Pimp daddy paddle tail worked best.
Casting. I rarely ever vertical jig. I fish from shore a lot, but today I was in a boat. I fish the same in a boat as I do on shore. Anchor just up from the run you want to fish and quarter cast downstream.
Curious if you're casting or vertical. Thx
Good deal. Thanks for the info. Sounds pretty similar to my spring time methods
Casting. I rarely ever vertical jig. I fish from shore a lot, but today I was in a boat. I fish the same in a boat as I do on shore. Anchor just up from the run you want to fish and quarter cast downstream.
What a fun day on the river…especially for late January;) Took us over 6 hours, but Alex and I got our 16…plus 4 C&R on our last drift. A ton of dinks as well…definitely had to weed through them looking for the keeps. Most of the 16 we kept were 15-17”…nice eaters! Blue ice with orange jig head was the ticket. LOW and SLOW!!! Almost dragging it in the mud. They were smacking it though! Bay City area. River was in great shape…but not sure how long it will last. It was chilly out there! Leaving the launch now for my 2.5 hr drive back to the west side. Can’t wait for the next trip!

Attachments

Great catch on the river! We’re you using minnows or just plastic?
Tipped with perch minnows until we ran out. Didn’t seem to make a difference today.
Great catch on the river! We’re you using minnows or just plastic?
Nice mess of fish. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. (especially photos)
What a fun day on the river…especially for late January;) Took us over 6 hours, but Alex and I got our 16…plus 4 C&R on our last drift. A ton of dinks as well…definitely had to weed through them looking for the keeps. Most of the 16 we kept were 15-17”…nice eaters! Blue ice with orange jig head was the ticket. LOW and SLOW!!! Almost dragging it in the mud. They were smacking it though! Bay City area. River was in great shape…but not sure how long it will last. It was chilly out there! Leaving the launch now for my 2.5 hr drive back to the west side. Can’t wait for the next trip!
Way to go!! I'm glad you guys got your fish
Was out there with Go Lions this morning. Similar results. We took a decent 3 man limit. Sorted through who knows how many little ones. Bright colors seemed to be the ticket. 7 hours of driving and 5 hours of fishing. Totally worth it!
POIDH! First jigging trip in my new to me boat was a success.
Hood Rectangle Grey Road surface Automotive lighting
Last trip for us in the boat, I guess it would be the first trip 🤔 . Anyhow put in at the Edson and was by far the most boats we have seen fishing this stretch this late fall/winter. We didn’t get started til around noonish but fished till dark. 14 keepers between three of us with a ton of little guys. Fished plastics only, pimp daddy chartreuse head and root beer with a red head was what we used. Fun day but it did get a little chilly once that wind picked up for a bit. No pics this time, water temp on my old bird said a touch over 32, bring on the hard water!!!!
Hit the river yesterday afternoon with a friend a little after 3. Bright color jigs with a Wyandotte worm worked best for us. Not huge fish but will make for a few good meals.
Table Wood Gas Cooking Recreation
Nice catch Jeff and crew
Was out there with Go Lions this morning. Similar results. We took a decent 3 man limit. Sorted through who knows how many little ones. Bright colors seemed to be the ticket. 7 hours of driving and 5 hours of fishing. Totally worth it!
POIDH! First jigging trip in my new to me boat was a success. View attachment 879643
Hopefully you guys had on the gopros ! Good stuff
I chose unwisely :(

Driving north didn't get below freezing till north of Clare. Kept thinking shoulda got the boat out and hit the river. Wasn't a horrible day, just not even remotely close to what you guys had.
Glad you guys tore em up!
Alex played around with the tactacam mounted on the windshield a little bit, and he may have done some video with his phone. Not sure if he got enough to post a video or not. He has some tinkering to do for good jigging video. GoPro body or hat mounts would definitely be the way to go. He's having fun with it though. I really enjoyed helping with the hunting videos...pleasantly surprised at how well a few of them have done. What he needs to do is sign up for Jeff's (Horseshoe) jigging video 101 class...he's had that dialed in for years;)
Hopefully you guys had on the gopros ! Good stuff
Way to beat em up Mike! Sucks you’re so far away for all the walleye jigging! You’re in the worse spot for all 3 rivers lol. See ya soon I’m sure brother.
Reactions: Go Lions!!!!
The good part is that it never gets old and each day on any of the three rivers is SPECIAL!!! Actually spent an hour or so today looking at my SCR and LSC Hot Spots map. June will be here before we know it;) lots of adventures between now and then though. I have a feeling winter is finally going to set in now. Maybe some ice fishing, then back in he boat jigging whenever the Sagnasty opens up. Then the DR will be calling. And definitely will try to hit your river for an early trip too. We are so blessed to have so many options in our great state! Just so happens that I live on the wrong side of it for the world class walleye action;)
Way to beat em up Mike! Sucks you’re so far away for all the walleye jigging! You’re in the worse spot for all 3 rivers lol. See ya soon I’m sure brother.
Sunday morning was a repeat of Saturday night. Doesn't seem to matter what you use. Jigs n plastic, blade baits, rippin raps. They all caught fish.
Fish Wood Cuisine Seafood Composite material
Good lookin pile of fish!
Sunday morning was a repeat of Saturday night. Doesn't seem to matter what you use. Jigs n plastic, blade baits, rippin raps. They all caught fish. View attachment 879863
361 - 380 of 413 Posts