Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the kits you can buy from Van Dykes was wondering if anybody has had any luck? any tips?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I took a class given by a taxidermist to mount birds, first 12 week class was on a pheasant, much easier then duck. Almost everyone there was to save on the taxi bill and mount their own. At then end of the first 12 weeks, everyone stood there with their bird and all agreed that taxidermist don't charge enough, all birds are going to them in the future and we are going to leave a big tip.

Nobody signed up for the duck class after he showed is how much harder it was. If you are going to teach yourself, go to a game farm, plop $20 down on a pheasant and learn on that first.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I took a class given by a taxidermist to mount birds, first 12 week class was on a pheasant, much easier then duck. Almost everyone there was to save on the taxi bill and mount their own. At then end of the first 12 weeks, everyone stood there with their bird and all agreed that taxidermist don't charge enough, all birds are going to them in the future and we are going to leave a big tip.

Nobody signed up for the duck class after he showed is how much harder it was. If you are going to teach yourself, go to a game farm, plop $20 down on a pheasant and learn on that first.
I just followed the directions and thought it was a pretty easy straight forward process. I couldn't be happier with the results..

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just followed the directions and thought it was a pretty easy straight forward process. I couldn't be happier with the results..
Wow! what a beauty looks great! As mentioned before ducks are a different deal. Properly de-fatting the skin and de-meating the wing bones can be a challenge if you have never done it or seen it done. Not done correctly and you could be dealing with a moth infestation. I mostly stick to mammals but worked in a shop in the GR area with a guy who was a great bird taxidermist. i could never get a duck as clean as he could, i did a few of my own and ripped them up pretty good. I'd be interested to hear your experience if you did try to mount one yourself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been doing ducks and Uplands for over 20 years (heres a few pictures of some of my birds), no, they are not easy ! I get calls all the time from other taxidermists who cant or wont do their own birds !

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts