Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im reading all kinds of posts about trout opener but did anyone do any smallie fishing last weekend. I did. Hit a local river, bite was slow due to high water but I did land some nice ones. A got my first twenty incher this weekend also. Id post a pic but this site never lets me. Anybody else do any good.
Undertow

·
Registered
374 Posts
well i havent been bass fishing but everytime ive been out i seem to find em anyway ............trout fishing last sunday in a small creek and got a 3 pound bass and numerous smaller ones.......and plenty of em walleye fishing

·
Registered
667 Posts
well like waterfoul said, him and i did some fishing a few days ago together on the grand. bite was 'slow' relative to what it's been every day since then. prolly caught half dozen - dozen smallies a piece, with maybe a keeper sized smallie for each of us. also caught a little dink largemouth which was a nice change of pace from the smallies.

just got off the river tonight, but as it was by far the most BIZARRE experience i've ever had fishing, i'll let you read that one in my other thread.

aside from opening day, when the go to tubes seemed to be dark purple, i've been catching the majority of my smallies on dark green gitzit tubes... high water, low water...doesn't seem to matter much to the smallies.

good luck, and hopefully my other thread will provide some humor for you all...

·
Registered
667 Posts
hey hbongaiii, walleye season opened in the lower peninsula (on bodies of water that are open to fishing...) for catch and keep last saturday (last sat. of april) as did pike. also, bass season opened the same day for catch and release.

for clarification, check out the DNR website for fishing seasons, which is http://www.michigan.gov/documents/general-hook-line-regs_151604_7.pdf
hopefully this helps a little bit.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I caught a couple out of a trib of the grand on sat. havent been out on the actual grand yet due to the high water and my little kayak.
I also fish tubes, big green pumpkin ones made by snack daddy. Love em and the smallies do as well. Usually I dont throw them until the dog days of summer though when smallies are not chasing baits as much. Now that its prespawn and the fish chasin I like to throw flukes, dinger worms, x-raps, basically anything that can resemble a dying minnow. This is also the time I like to throw clouser's with my flyrod. Think I will head out tonight and see what the rain did to my fav. trib.
Undertow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts