Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out to the State Game Area yesterday and seen lots of tracks , but only one doe. Has anyone been hunting there lately and would have some recomendations where to go? I've been hunting off of Ryan Rd. on the south side. Other years have been good there, but seems to have cooled off there. With the seasons so close to each other and new hunters coming in all the time. They could be a little spooked and way in the back. Going to be out there again tomorrow and might look for a new place. :confused:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have heard some good reports on the federal since gunn season ended but none on the state. Once season ends i'll hear them reports though

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
michigander II said:
I was out to the State Game Area yesterday and seen lots of tracks , but only one doe. Has anyone been hunting there lately and would have some recomendations where to go? I've been hunting off of Ryan Rd. on the south side. Other years have been good there, but seems to have cooled off there. With the seasons so close to each other and new hunters coming in all the time. They could be a little spooked and way in the back. Going to be out there again tomorrow and might look for a new place. :confused:
ya your seeing the downside of having a dec. 2nd muzzle season. The deer that were initially pushed back there during rifle didn't get a break so they ain't coming out. Usually they had a 2 week break and deer sorta go lax at returning to marsh......so by opening of regular muzzle you had some good action up front. I had a friend out there the last week and he had a rough time finding ANY deer let alone a buck.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Shiawassee_Kid said:
ya your seeing the downside of having a dec. 2nd muzzle season.

I think that is the problem everyone is havin right now. I wish they would have extended it 1 week later then open it a week earlier :bash:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I almost hate to post this, but I was at Ryan Rd. parking lot saturday morning at 9am, 2nd one near the ditch, going to push the corn for pheasants. As the dog, myself and my son were prepairing to hunt, I noticed a hunter leaving the area walking along the grass by the ditch side. He had been hunting deer back there all morning and never seen a thing. We asked him if he would like to walk with us and he said he needed to warm up and was heading for a cup of coffee. Walked up on a nice 8 point 12 rows in from the ditch side and about 70 yards from the parking lot. I got within 30 yards before the buck seen the dog and decided to head for the woods. He must have laid there all morning. No pheasants by the way.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Nice to hear you seen a buck! Will give that field a try, hopefully tomorrow after the snow clears out. Thanks for the tip!
Michigander II

1 - 6 of 6 Posts