Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the St Clair Shores area and have been a long time lurker of this site. I am a HUGE bowhunter/ outdoorsman and have recently caught the hardwater bug the past few years. I purchased a shanty last year after enduring year after year of cold winds and frozen fingers. Although I am a "newer" hardwater fisherman, I have had sucesses and have a couple of "good" spots that I have found to fish.

I go out by myself most days and for me, this is getting old. Friend seems to always bail, my wife is not into it and the kids only go every so often. I would like to find someone or a group of folks that likes to go out on a regular basis that could use some more company to share stories on the ice and exchange tips/ tactics.

I am by no means looking to steal peoples spots or honey holes, other than looking to find someone to fish with that may be able to give a few pointers.

Anyway, thanks for reading my corny post and drop me a PM if you are interested in a antoher fishing partner....

Regards,
Lyle

·
Banned
217 Posts
Hey Lyle,

I've ice fished St Clair 2 & sometimes 3 days a week for about 35 years. Half the time I too go alone, the other times I may be with 2-5 other fishing buddies. We all enjoy meeting & keeping in touch with other fisherman. I've found the more people I go out with the better the fishing usually is (helps keep you on the fish or find them in an area). Here's my email address [email protected] if you're interested, I'll email you back with my phone number & we can talk.

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
"more the merrier" i always say. we need to put together more informal "meet and greets". i haven't been able to make it to any yet

jim "working man 2"

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds great folks!! I look forward to some ice and meeting everyone. As the ice starts to form i will send out some PM's and get things rolling. I know that last year we talked about putting some kind of identifier on our bucket or shanties for an un-offical meet and greet of sorts on the ice.

I think we should fire that conversation back up. I know the radios have worked in the past but I think going with some sort of identifier might be the way to go in the future.

Thanks again all and I look forward to meeting with you this season! :D

Regards,
Lyle

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know that last year we talked about putting some kind of identifier on our bucket or shanties for an un-offical meet and greet of sorts on the ice.

Lyle, I agree with you. Every time I go out and talk to people at launch sites and such, I ask if you are from this web site. It would be nicer and easier to identify others from this web site. I am always looking for someone to fish with as well. A lot of times I have to go it alone. Please include me in your list of contacts when hard water arrives. :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I know that last year we talked about putting some kind of identifier on our bucket or shanties for an un-offical meet and greet of sorts on the ice.

Lyle, I agree with you. Every time I go out and talk to people at launch sites and such, I ask if you are from this web site. It would be nicer and easier to identify others from this web site. I am always looking for someone to fish with as well. A lot of times I have to go it alone. Please include me in your list of contacts when hard water arrives. :)
Maybe some kind of hand sign or something....:hide:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I'm out there a lot as well,PM me when its time!!! We will be like the Freemasons or the lumalada!!! Secret society of ice fisherman,we can roll as the SSIF!!!!!!! Have a handshake like Mork from ork!!!NANOO,NANOO!!!:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe some kind of hand sign or something....:hide:[/quote]
i can think of one certian hand(finger) sign :lol:.
but i don't know if we should use that one around the little members
of our family website:lol::lol:

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I'm retired with nothing to do............ Call ya when the water firms up.
:16suspect..........gotta watch this guy.........tends to leave a trail of gear on the ice.:16suspect:hide::evil::lol:

The other ice rats are starting to show up Lyle. Sit tight. There's plenty of guys willing to go out there with another member of the site.;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW...thanks for ALL the great responses!! Thanks gents and we'll see ya out there, hopefully sometime here soon:sad:!!:D

·
Premium Member
30,111 Posts

Here's an option thats coming back around.......http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308684

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you know, we talked about something like that last year with decals ect. I am all for it. The toughest thing is that some guys dont want to put anything on thier new shanty's from what I read last year. Some guys dont have shanty's, etc. I think we should have a few key identifiers like the patches, stickers, hats (Ficious), and even a simple identifier for those that do not have the "others" like a flag or hunters tracking tape, etc.

All that I know is that something should be done. After sitting on the bay at Gino's and seeing thousands of shanty's it was hard to try and remember what everyone had posted like, "I have a black shanty and will be wearing a hunters orange hat"....it was crazy....I know that there will be a few more "meet and greets" scheduled which sound great but we really should come up with a way to know who's who so that when spotted we can introduce ourselves and put the name with the face!;)

I am good with anything. I will have my Ficious hat on my head and decals posted on my "house" this year and have plenty of room for more!! I think I might even fly a flag from my shanty this year. I am working on a design now that folds up and stores with my shanty!! LOL......(gotta do something while I am awaiting first ice :lol:) At the very least people will know that it is me out there!

·
Premium Member
30,111 Posts
Well I got to get my old machine running, but was thinking of puttin one of the decals on a whip antenna on sled or quad like the old bike ones on a fiberglass poles. Then you could remove it, and put on radio antenna on boat in summer.:D

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Well I'm up for meeting up but I stick to canals and don't do much in the way of perch, if you're interested in gills let me know :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I'm up for meeting up but I stick to canals and don't do much in the way of perch, if you're interested in gills let me know :)
Sounds great! I love them gills just the same!! The canals are some of my favorites spots (especially really windy days!) but only have access to a few of the more "private" and secluded spots. Would love to meet up one day and fill a bucket with ya! :eek:ne_eye:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Well I got to get my old machine running, but was thinking of puttin one of the decals on a whip antenna on sled or quad like the old bike ones on a fiberglass poles. Then you could remove it, and put on radio antenna on boat in summer.:D
John made a flag for me a few years ago for my whip antenna but I'll be darned if I can find it. I have one of his decals on my 2 man shanty and its pretty neat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts