Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've never thrown back a nice white perch and sure got into some beauties this year out of boles.
Nothing like a white bass, they filet up very good without the huge bones and have a much flakier meat when cooked but tastes exactly like a yellow perch to everyone I know.
Give em a try if you have'nt already.:)

·
Registered
668 Posts
The last few years I've run into them on several occasions in drowned river mouths (Muskegon Lake, Duck Lake, White lake etc.) in Western Michigan.
I've tried to target them without any luck as they travel in schools and show up where they want to. They are a very tasty fish . Your right " don't ever throw one back" !

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jethro said:
We've never thrown back a nice white perch and sure got into some beauties this year out of boles.
Nothing like a white bass, they filet up very good without the huge bones and have a much flakier meat when cooked but tastes exactly like a yellow perch to everyone I know.
Give em a try if you have'nt already.:)
I took a decent one home last year because everyone then was talking about it, when I checked the meat it was a gray color with a mud line that made me throw it away. That was it for me, but was that common for that fish?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I always keep white perch. In fact I have even targeted them at times around Kellys Island. It seems that we get a 'run" of them in the dog days of early August and you can catch nothing else. They are not as good as yellow perch (but then what is?). They are good to eat.

Jim

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Kept 22 last night, all nice eaters. Al

·
Registered
164 Posts
Make sure and take a look at the fish advisory warnings if you plan to feed them to a kid or young woman. They contain twice the pcb's as a normal perch. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
903 Posts
always keep them, great eating. the dnr guy at the ramp told me they always get more white perch than yellows in thier net surveys.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
What a coincidence. I came in to work today and this woman's husband and BIL filled up two coolers with them. Filleted them up, she said they looked like fishsticks. Just took the backstraps. Tasted great she said.

And I stand corrected. They used electric knives to fillet them. Do they make a four-inch fillet knife? I hate those long-bladed ones.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/faq/whiteperch.htm

In the Detroit River I think we're talking Bass. I'm not gonna dig through my garbage in the freezer but I seem to recall a lot of lines on the sides of the fish.

But I could be mistaken.:dizzy:

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
i think a lot of the confusion is that some people call white perch and silver bass the same thing, or white bass, etc.

i've never kept em, but it stands to reason that they taste different as they are two different species of fish.

·
Registered
171 Posts
white perch are considerably smaller and they are terrible bait stealers with a yellowish tint to them. silvers are fun, and quite tasty smoked. gonna try to get a few in the mornin since im not a big handliner and the jiggers havent been doin so well. i like the feel of the fight of the fish, handlining to me is just harvesting meat. no offense guys, if i have to handline, i'll do it, but i have plenty of eyes in the freezer.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
There is a big difference between white bass (same as silver bass) and white perch. The White bass is generally higher in the water column (not always though), while the white perch is pretty much always on the bottom. The bass usually have thin black lateral lines, the perch do not. The mouths are different. The white bass get much bigger-average 12-15 " (you get a big one-say 18" on an ultralight and they are a blast!). The white perch average about 9" with a really big one pushing 13".

Jim

·
Registered
628 Posts
The white bass has white under its jaw and the white perch has the pink/purple under its jaw. Caught a limit of eyes tonight and kept one 11 inch white perch to try for the first time. It is now digesting in my belly with no complaints here! The meat was very firm and not much different than the yellows.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I have taken a few white perch trolling for eyes. I have eaten them fried in butter. After frying I scrape off all the dark meat, and they taste gr8 to me. The way I tell them from white bass, The white perch has eyes that look just like a yellow perch's eyes.

·
Registered
531 Posts
A past netting survey also found one of the main sources of food for a white perch is walleye fry and eggs....200-400+ to be exact...per fish that was netted.:tdo12:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Rifleman99 said:
A past netting survey also found one of the main sources of food for a white perch is walleye fry and eggs....200-400+ to be exact...per fish that was netted.:tdo12:
Maybe thats why they taste good! :evilsmile

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Life History Notes:
WHITE PERCH

click image to enlarge

COMMON NAMES: White perch, Silver perch, Gray perch, Blue nose perch
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Morone americana

IDENTIFICATION: The white perch is a deep bodied fish that looks very similar to the white bass. The main difference is that the white perch is all silver and does not have dark lines running the length of the body.

WHITE BASS

click image to enlarge
COMMON NAMES: White bass, Silver bass

IDENTIFICATION: White bass are silvery in color and have a milky white belly. In addition, they have six or more dark lateral lines on the sides and back. This fish has two dorsal fins with the first having nine spines. The white bass closely resembles the hybrid striped bass and the white perch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts