Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a vet with some experience with dogs and kidneys. my 7 month old lab pup ate a bottle of motrin that was on the dresser, in a bag, that was inside of another bag and his kidneys aren't do well. we have him on a i.v. and he has been on it for 24 hours now and the blood work came back worse. so, we have him on the i.v. for tonight and tomarrow but how long do you let it go before enough is enough? i am super upset about this, and was looking for some good news, or a straight answer. thanks. :sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
looking for a vet with some experience with dogs and kidneys. my 7 month old lab pup ate a bottle of motrin that was on the dresser, in a bag, that was inside of another bag and his kidneys aren't do well. we have him on a i.v. and he has been on it for 24 hours now and the blood work came back worse. so, we have him on the i.v. for tonight and tomarrow but how long do you let it go before enough is enough? i am super upset about this, and was looking for some good news, or a straight answer. thanks. :sad:

I am not a Vet.. But I think only you can answer your question.

Your Veterinarian should give you a prognosis...you should have your budget in mind. Sorry to put it so bluntly but its the honest truth. Your pup could suffer for a few days and make it through and have lifelong kidney damage...and that is after thousands of dollars of treatment.

Did your Veterinarian just give you a wait and see? Does he/she have any experience to share with you about this situation?

Here is what I found in a quick internet search


Ibuprofen


Ibuprofen, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug with analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic effects,2 is available in a variety of strengths. The most common over-the-counter strength is 200 mg, but the prescription-strength tablets can contain up to 800 mg ibuprofen. Ibuprofen has a narrow margin of safety in dogs, and acute toxicosis is common. Dogs are often exposed to ibuprofen accidentally when they chew on a medicine bottle, but sometimes owners give ibuprofen to their dogs intentionally for pain control.



Ibuprofen overdose can cause GI, renal, and central nervous system (CNS) effects. Doses of 25 mg/kg or more often lead to gastrointestinal (GI) problems and ulceration, manifested as vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain. Doses approaching 175 mg/kg increase a dog's risk of developing acute renal failure,2 but older dogs or those with preexisting renal compromise may exhibit renal failure at lower doses. With doses greater than 400 mg/kg, CNS effects such as depression, seizures, and comas may occur.
Treatment for acute ibuprofen toxicosis includes inducing emesis, administering activated charcoal (multiple charcoal doses are indicated to reduce enterohepatic recirculation in dogs that have ingested high doses of ibuprofen) and GI protectants (H2-blockers, sucralfate, misoprostol), and inducing diuresis with intravenous fluids at twice the maintenance rate while monitoring renal function. With timely and appropriate treatment, most dogs are expected to have a positive outcome.


So my question is, was the treatment timely?


Good luck and let us know how it turns out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,438 Posts
Well, I'm not a vet, but I do have a veterinary student living here with me and here's the advice I got when telling her about your situation. Mind you, this is from someone who can not be a practicing vet yet so you can take this or leave it. But for what it's worth...

A drug OD is not good for a pooch of any age but 7 months old is young and that means your pup may have a chance. With that said, you need to set parameters for yourself. You can see what the blood work looks like in a day or two and if it's better, keep going, or if it's worse...

Really it depends on how much you have invested in the critter, how much you can afford, and to be honest, if your vet is worth anything they should be able to give you an honest opinion as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that was quick! My vet is a friend of the family so I do have a lot of confidence in him. Like you guys said, I need to set a paramiter for money. He is an awesome dog, and is still full of pi$$ and vinager even today. We are hoping for the best. I was looking for a pick me up a little, because I am crushed, so is my wife, but we are still praying for better! Poor guy has been at the vet for a while, and I already miss seeing him here!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top