Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My pup comes back from training next week. I placed an order of 16 neumann & bennet jumbo (3"x12") bumpers from Gun Dog supply last week. They didn't have white for some reason, but the grey ones pictured looked nearly white, so I ordered them, and it turns out they are WAY darker of a grey than how it was pictured. I'd call them dark grey. I placed an order with neumann & bennet directly for 16 white bumpers, so I'm getting those no matter what. My issue is whether I should return the 16 grey ones. They cost me about $90, with Gundog Supply's free shipping, but I'll end up having to pay somewhere between $20 and $30 to ship them back for a refund.

Should I bite the $20-30 return shipping and get my refund back, or do you think there's some use for dark grey bumpers (keeping in mind I'll also have 16 white ones as well)? I was thinking they could come in use when there is snow on the ground, but I'm new to training, so I just don't know. Thoughts on that?

I've also heard darker colored bumpers, dark grey or black, show up better in water to a dog than white bumpers when there is glare on the water. Any feedback on the veracity of that is greatly appreciated as well.

Posting this in the upland/dog training forum as well...

Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Darker bumpers are better for marking when their is no background cover. So if your training in large field and their is no tree lines darker bumpers will show up better for the dog to mark . Now if their is good background it will be tougher for him to mark it .

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wouldn't send them back because when he gets more advanced. Then you want to make it tougher. I think I have 15 white bumpers for young dog training. 20 black and white more advanced dogs .30 orange bumpers for running blinds. You can never have enough bumpers.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darker bumpers are better for marking when their is no background cover. So if your training in large field and their is no tree lines darker bumpers will show up better for the dog to mark . Now if their is good background it will be tougher for him to mark it .
Thanks bud. What about for training in snow?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For training in snow I use black and white bumpers but canvas. So they don't sink down in the snow that much .
These bumpers are a very dark grey. I suppose I could call the color almost slate. They would contrast very strongly in snow. Do you think they would suffice for training in snow the same as the black and white bumpers? Thanks again for the help.

Josh

·
Registered
572 Posts
They will, but like was mentioned. If the snow is light in weight, you throw a mark, and the bumper is under the snow. I don't know if the bumpers you mentioned are more rigid in construction, but I know that the Avery hexa-bumpers break in freezing temps

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They will, but like was mentioned. If the snow is light in weight, you throw a mark, and the bumper is under the snow. I don't know if the bumpers you mentioned are more rigid in construction, but I know that the Avery hexa-bumpers break in freezing temps
These bumpers are a rubber material, identical to a boat bumper (the company also makes those). They have a valve, like the sport dog bumpers, but are much nicer IMO (while being about the same price). They are soft rubber that will NOT break when in frozen temps like you hear about the Avery hexa bumpers.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would keep them. Like was said above, you can never have too many bumpers. Use them for your pile work. Just mix them in with the white ones...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts