Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to replace my 1995 25 HP Mercury with my newly aquired 1995 40 HP Mercury. The 25 has the quick silver remote controls - The 40 HP has a tiller arm.
Besides removing the tiller arm , just wondering what I need to know to mount the 40. For example 1) are galvanized bolts ok -- or are their some super stainless Mercury bolts I need...? 2) I assume one just hangs the old beast on the back then drills holes ?
The readers on this website seem to be pretty Worldly - I figured this is the place to ask..
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
What kind of boat are you mounting on? Regardless, if the mounting holes dont line up, your gonna want to be sure to seal the old holes in the transome completely. If you let water get into the core of your transom, the core wil rot out in no time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have stated.
It is a 1996 Smoker Craft Pro Mag 165. - With console.
There are no mounting holes. The 25 HP that has been on it since new clamps on.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Here is a very good site, I couldnt link directly to it, but click on the link, scroll down 2/3 of the way, and in the brown section on the left labeled "OUTBOARD REPAIR TIPS", the 9th option down is "Mounting an outboard to your boat".

It should open a very indepth, roughly 10 page site, that you can print off.

http://www.marinepartsman.com/

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I printed out 15 pages from the site you gave us...
- thank you,
I used the words next to perfect because they say these instructions are up to 1993. My engine is newer than 1993.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts