Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would really like to catch a musky on lake st clair, have always wanted to. I pike fish regularly, and have dreamt of catching a nice musky to add a photo to my collection. Any advice on a good charter would be appreciated. I think most troll for them which is fine, but would love to catch one casting. Can anyone help a dreamer out? Thanks alot fellow sportsman.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Casting for them is 10 times funner in my opinion. Watching following musky is almost as fun as catching them. But neither catching them, nor watching them follow compare to feeling of having them swim out of your hand in my opinion. Nothing compares to releasing a perfect predator like the musky back into the lake.

There are tons of musky charters on st clair. There are also a lot of members here that fish it a lot, that would probably be willing to help you learn the ropes and take you out on the water. I fish the other side of the state, or I'd offer.

Check out www.michiganmuskiealliance.org sometime too. Lots of good tips, info, and friendly musky nuts over there, too.

Musky fishing isnt like anything else. Its a benchmark all other fishing will always have to try to live up to for me. I cant express how much I love it, and how it isnt like fishing for any other species.

PS- Cancel your credit cards and close your checking account right now. It can get expensive in a hurry! :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi guy, I am a Michigan Musky guide but dont do Lake St. Claire. We get some very fine fish all over the state. A good charter on St. Claire is about 600.00 . We do in land waters like Lake Hudson, Thornapple and Budd. Casting and trolling from a 2003 18ft. starcraft Superfisherman. Check out our site at http://www.kingfisherguides.homestead.com/kingfisherguides.html click on the Musky pics. We are less expensive, licsensed and insured. Casting is much more fun and more rewarding. Give us a shout, Kingfisher

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi ya Junkie. If you are looking for a top notch muskie guide, especially of the casting variety, look no further than Musky Bob Brunner. He is the foremost authority on casting for StClair musky with over 70 years of experiance. That`s right over 70. Contact him at 586-254-9209 or E- mail at [email protected]. He`s giving seminars this weekend at the GibralterTrade Center in Mt Clemens. Call for times of seminar.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I haven't gone to a Gibralter Fishing show for a few years. Have they improved any? Any tackle shopping that is worth while?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I`ve never been to the show at Gibralter. Looking forward to the show at Ford Field.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The show at Ford Field is march 3-7. Go to www.showspan.com for all the info and even a discount coupon you print out.

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Captain Steve VanAsche of Bushwacher charters is an excellent Muskie fisherman and a great guy to spend the day with. He does all his Muskie fishing on LSC. Steve is a troller but you can usually get much better numbers using that technique IMO. If you would like to talk to him about hooking up for a trip, his number is (586) 783-8985. Tell him John from “In Cahoots” recommended him and maybe he will give you a slight break on price (no guarantees there). Yes, he is a friend but anyone that has used him based on my recommendation has been very pleased with the results. Good luck!

·
Administrator
27,063 Posts
Try the 6-8 ft area around Mac and Rae's (from Selfridge to the Clinton river) as soon as the season opens. Troll or cast its up to you. But be forewarned, you will also catch a bunch of smallmouths too.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Outdoor Junkie, Give me a call 586-294-8228, It would be my pleasure to take you along for a day of muskie fishing. I don't cast off my boat, I'm a troller. ;) I'm pretty sure we can bring a few to the boat and have a great time doing it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Musky Mike,

Very nice offer Mike, and I will make the same offer to Outdoor Junkie. Call me at 586-322-6084.

Mike is an excellent Muskey fisherman and a great guy! Maybe we can all hook up on that day Mike on your boat or mine.

Bob___

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I see that you are from Montrose, I am from Birch Run, I guess that we are neighbors. Anyway, although I haven't done much on St. Clair there is some fine fishing in our area, trolling or casting. If you would like I can give you some information on the lakes that are closest to us. I primarily fish for muskies and have put many hours on these lakes and although your chances of boating multiple fish is higher on St. Clair, there is something to be said for solitude.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the offers gentleman I sent pm's I hope they went through I would love to meet you guys, and have someone show me the ropes. See ya soon hopefully. This is exactly why this is the best site on the net.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
You'll find Musky Bob at Ford Field also. He can get you into the fish. Use to fish the MOMC tournaments with him years ago. Think I've heard about every trip out that he makes. Have lived next door to him for the last 29 yrs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts