Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running 2 dipsys on each side and 1 planner board on each side. Just started big lake fishing not to long ago. I feel as though i have the right equipment but no luck other than a tangled mess. Any help would be apprecited guys!
FYI- not looking to steal your fish just looking for friendly advice for a guy who goes out occasionally.

Thanks All,
Tight Lines!

·
Premium Member
10,151 Posts
Just got back from Manistee today ...salmon were deep .Dipsy's 165 back with spin doctor and blue and green glow flies with teasers got most of ours .Meat rigs on riggers 70 -80 down took some .They were glow yellow .We caught nothing on spoons and j-plug .Salmon are big this year ...ours were all 20 plus pounds .A guy in camp reportedly got a 34 1/2 pounder .Our largest was 28#.Good luck

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's probably common knowledge but just a reminder to keep your divers dialed in correctly to avoid those pesky tangles. Typical set up when running 2 divers a side is setting the dial on the high to 3 and 1 1/2 on the low. Fishing has been tough. It's been very crucial for charters and rec fisherman alike to not miss the early bite. If the sun is already rising as you're heading out the channel, you're missing it. Meat and flies have been doing most damage but don't be afraid to put a plug on one of your boards. Good luck!

And watch out for the ship wreck! It's marked with a buoy just to the north. The mast sticks straight up on the water and has a lot of fishing gear hanging off it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from Manistee today ...salmon were deep .Dipsy's 165 back with spin doctor and blue and green glow flies with teasers got most of ours .Meat rigs on riggers 70 -80 down took some .They were glow yellow .We caught nothing on spoons and j-plug .Salmon are big this year ...ours were all 20 plus pounds .A guy in camp reportedly got a 34 1/2 pounder .Our largest was 28#.Good luck
Can i use meat rigs on divers as i dont have my riggers set up(mounts on boat are 4x4 and riger plates are 6x4, and can not get under to bolt down new plates).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sh
It's probably common knowledge but just a reminder to keep your divers dialed in correctly to avoid those pesky tangles. Typical set up when running 2 divers a side is setting the dial on the high to 3 and 1 1/2 on the low. Fishing has been tough. It's been very crucial for charters and rec fisherman alike to not miss the early bite. If the sun is already rising as you're heading out the channel, you're missing it. Meat and flies have been doing most damage but don't be afraid to put a plug on one of your boards. Good luck!

And watch out for the ship wreck! It's marked with a buoy just to the north. The mast sticks straight up on the water and has a lot of fishing gear hanging off it.

Oot didnt even know about the wreck

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Low quality picture but in the middle there you can see the high and low diver. You have them set correctly sequence wise but I would point them more toward the water. The tip of the low should be pointed almost in the water and yout high should be a couple notches above that. This way you will get the lines deeper and further apart from one another. Also run the high diver on the lomger rod amd low on the shorter this way they can both comfortably ride together with enough spacing. Always make sure your high diver has more line out than your low. Since your high will be on setting 3 it will be at a shallower depth at let's say 200 than your low on setting 1 1/2 at 170.

And yes you can absolutely run meat rigs on flashers with dipseys, and quite effectively at that! Just make sure the meat head has a nice looking spin to it before you let it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.