Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
remington - turkey, grouse, woodcock, duck, goose, deer (and pheasant if any exist)
1,049 Posts
those are a real pain - pun intended

my friend who fishes lk erie swears by this. he hangs a few garlic cloves in his boat. said it works all year long. I tried that, but I have an open boat, whereas he has a hardtop with a cabin. so I did try mixing garlic powder (heavy dose) and water in a spray bottle to spray my arms and legs, which seemed to help, maybe a 75% reduction overall, as it kep them off for awhile, then I needed to respray. and I have heard others say to eat a bunch of fresh garlic to get it into your bloodstream. fortunately, I love garlic. that might not work for those who don't.

I have yet to try another idea - that of getting some fans that work on batteries, have heard that works

and pray for some wind

I haven't been fishing recently, will be doing so this week. your message was a downer to realize I might be battling fly bites soon :(

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Those things are nuts this year. Several have drawn blood and hurt for days after. I don’t remember that ever happening in years past.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
When we were fishing in Yellowstone the Buffalo Gnats were brutal. They drew blood too....... :mad: The Fly Shop suggested Skin So Soft .... It worked like a charm..... :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Old crappy hat that you don’t care about and cover the top of it as well as the brim with fly catch strips. They’ll bounce off your head once… but only once. Works great when mowing too

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Fly Shop suggested Skin So Soft
Avon skin so soft works also
This was the go to bug juice when I lived in SC to keep the sand fleas from biting. Cut it with rubbing alcohol and it plain works. Some DI's wife made a killing selling Avon as they required every new recruit to by several bottles at the beginning of basic training down there.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts

I spray the perimeter of the fishing area and my clothes. I put it some on my skin as well but I don't think that is recommended.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Loose fitting long pants and mental denial of the ones that get you. Those things will bite right through denim. Any clothing clinging to your skin is not protecting you.

·
Premium Member
10,436 Posts
Dryer sheets hanging out the back of your hat.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Off Skintastic works OK but Bug Soother in the green bottle works great but is pricy. Used Bug Soother during my U.P. trip back in June & it worked great. Wish I would of had it back in May when I was in the northern lower because the black flies were the worst I've ever seen up there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts