Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are quickly becoming bird nerds, and she like to cross snowy owls off her list. I got lucky enough to see one last year, driving and about swerved off the road to check it out. We were hoping to take a little road trip to check them out, but are wondering what direction to head besides north. Any help to point us in the right direction would be great. Thanks

· Banned
4,890 Posts
Reactions: Gamechanger

· Crazed Country Rebel
2,450 Posts
Window Rectangle Fixture Grey Urban design
Wow interesting you should ask. I work in Marquette and took this outside my office window a few weeks ago. Sorry about the quality but it was pretty exciting nonetheless

Then last week one flew over my wife’s car as she drove away from the local grocery store

I realize it’s quite a drive for ya, but we’re overrun with ‘em!

· Registered
21,148 Posts
Chased this guy down the dike between the lagoons at the Muskegon Waste Water back in early November. Seemed a little early for that. Then about two weeks later had one perched on top of the turkey barn near my house in Holland. Usually see one every couple years, but two in a week was pretty cool.

Also have seen one on top of the water tube on the north pier at Port Sheldon sitting with about 100 sea gulls. Had to take a double take on that one as he looked "funny".

Water Sky Water resources Cloud Lake

Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape Lake

· Registered
21,148 Posts
Muskegon Waste Water is a great place for birding. Lots of shore birds use the dry ponds south of White Street on the NW end of the unit. Call the HQ and get a permit for driving around and make a day of it in the spring as they work back up the coast.

The Fennville Farm unit off 118th in Allegan County holds lots of eagles as well, including goldens at times.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up seeing one while driving home from work a couple weeks ago. In the fields of MSU’s campus. It flew across the road and landed on a telephone pole, right over some ducks in a flooded field. I was on the phone with my wife,who was Uber jealous. I pretty much hung up on her. I got some crappy pics(which I can’t upload for some reason)and admired it for a while.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Went to a Wings of Wonder release today neat Empire. She said in her 29 years, this is only her third Snowy release. It was a pretty cool experience for my daughter and I.
That would have been quite an experience to witness and I'm glad you and your daughter were able to experience it. Nice photos BTW.

I guess the conditions for reproduction were rather favorable over the past few years because two have taken up residence in the Washington DC area this winter. The Post has run a few pictures of this rare visitor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.