Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, not the right forum but I tend to stay away from Sound Off. Heading to Cape Cod in a couple weeks. I have a charter lined up for 2 days in hopes of landing a Bluefin Tuna. I checked out renting a boat for a couple of the off days but they weren't cheap and I'm sure they have no sonar, rod holders etc etc. Thinking of dragging my 15' Smokercaft and going where the wind and waves allow it. I have some Power Dive Minnows, Reef Runners and Bombers for body baits. I have leadcore, jets, mini discs and a bunch of equipment that can handle these fish but I really don't have a clue how to target them. I'm not planning going offshore but Cape Cod Bay may have some protected waters that are holding some fish. Any advise?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Not trying to hijack but any tips on pier/shore fishing for striper,bluefish

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Spent 10 years in Philly and went out for stripers & blues on numerous occasions (one of my customers had a 28' Grady White). Never took a charter but all the folks I knew who did, went off the Carolinas for Bluefin. As an aside, check the charter agreement because I never saw a charter for Bluefin where the captain didn't "split the catch." As far as stripers, the blues tend to be slightly closer to the surface and usually manage to grab the bait (6" plastic on 1 oz jigs) before it can get down to the stripers. Make sure you use a wire leader or you'll lose a lot of baits! I would also frown on the idea of taking your boat out in the ocean, just sayin' ...

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. If I took the boat out, it would be in Cape Cod Bay, near shore and playing the wind. I have no death wish! :p As for the jigs and plastics, do they cast them? I wouldn't mind trolling to cover some ground in search of some active fish and at that point casting might be an option???

·
Registered
1 Posts
when I was a kid....many years ago...we would troll for cape Cod stripers with spinners and sea worms but sometimes we would run into a large school...a few acres....of blues and stripers feeding the surface with hundreds of gulls feeding on the baitfish.....then we would cast with surface poppers and spooks....awesome excitement.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Stripers like the current/moving water. Try targeting tide rips with big body baits that resemble pogies or mackerel. Stipers also LOVE eels. You could try free lining pogies and/or eels near and tide rips. You could also try chumming. That should interest any blues that are around.
Also as someone eluded to, look for schools of baitfish getting attacked. Look for flocks of diving birds and move in on the bait schools slowly and quietly. Both stripers and blues will be mixed in. Youl'll know one of those feeding frenzies if you see it. The water will be churned up like a washing machine. You can throw any hard or soft body baits or silver spoons that look like bait. Reel fast and hold on because if one of those big boys hit, they'll darn near rip the rod out of your hand. Also have one or two rods rigged with a chugger/popper topwater bait.
Blues love a bait that moves fast, so dont worry about being to fast.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
We would usually cast with the jig & swimbait. Count it down and pull it in pretty quick. Trollers often used umbrella rigs (precurser to the Alabama rig) with 3 or 4" plastics around the perimeter and a 6" trailer. As I mentioned though, when the blues are present (often but not always) make sure you've got a steel leader cause they've got nasty teeth and they are MEAN!

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
By the way, if you're really interested in striper action (many of us are!), Raystown Lake in PA (near State College and, by now, everybodys heard of that!) has been stocking true stripers there since the 60's. I believe the PA inland record out of there is around 54 lbs with numerous fish in the 20's and 30's ... kinda the middle linebacker of the fish species.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The last couple of times I was out there, pink Slug-go's were the most productive. If you give them a try get a couple or several packages as if the Blue doesn't take the hook on it's strike they'll slice bait in half.

Oh and someone here mentioned using wire leader good idea, but found that a 40 lb mono leader has held up pretty good to the blue's teeth

·
Super Moderator
37,723 Posts
Head south 1 hour to Narragansett Bay. Better striper fishing, and a bit more protected.
The straights between Fort Wetherill and Fort Adams (Right by Newport) were always a sure bet on a changing tide.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Rent a boat, it will be cheaper in the long run. We usually surf fished for blues, a bottom rig and some squid. Stripers, we trolled Mann's stretch 20s for them around cape lookout at around 2 MPH.
Good luck on the bluefin, there aren't many fish that compare! See if your captain will let ya do stand-up for them, that is way more fun being strapped to a 700 plus lb fish than sitting in a chair or using a gunnel rod holder. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Paul but that looks like a pretty good hike from north of Orleans where we are staying and I hear the traffic is terrible. I'll keep it in mind though. Our main goal is Tuna but Stripers/Blues would be fun if we have some free time. Thanks for a the info gentlemen! :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
By the way, if you're really interested in striper action (many of us are!), Raystown Lake in PA (near State College and, by now, everybodys heard of that!) has been stocking true stripers there since the 60's. I believe the PA inland record out of there is around 54 lbs with numerous fish in the 20's and 30's ... kinda the middle linebacker of the fish species.
I grew up about an hour from Raystown. My parents still live there. I guess a few years back they stopped stocking stripers because they thougtht there was an established population. I guess that didn't prove to be the case. My dad told me they started a Striper Club pretty quickly and have started stocking again. I know a few guys that would fish long and hard for the stripers. I personally never got one because we didn't fish it much. Usually we were there for waterskiing.

·
Super Moderator
37,723 Posts
Get a charter that will fish the Block Island area for tuna. Back in the early 80's I caught more bluefin out there that topped 500# than you can count on your hands......

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have 2 days booked with Captain Josh Zacharias (Outermost Angling). He sight casts suface plugs using heavy spinning gear at the Bluefins. Sounds like a blast but we won't be landing any 500 lbers with that method. He said 50 - 300 is what they normally catch with 300's being near impossible on that gear. I'm pretty sure catch rates these days are nothing compared to the 80's. I sure hope we get into a few!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
like said find a bait shop that sells eels for stippers walk the beaches/ drive early in the mornings like 4-6 am sun up till about 9 a.m. till beach goers get there. use either a a heavy spinning rod or surf rod. we use a lot of weak fish jigs for weak fish ware we went. any ways they sell leader12 -36 inches with a weight attached like 1/2 -4 once.

check there state rules for correct regs and plan tides accordingly. out going in coming etc... sun up sun down etc... and best time frames to fish btw do not get stuck any ware on incoming or out going tied people drowned that way. but do paln the days around tides etc... that way you can sight see with the wife when your not really fishing . tide chart are written months in advanced. also find out if you can drive the beach some state allow it some do not. they sell a hitch for carrying a cooler and rods tackle etc at cabelas under a search for "pier cart's" that way you get there rods are rigged and ready.

all you got to do jump out is grab and cast if it is legal to drive on the beach. btw watch for bird a activity swarms of birds will signal a blue fish and bait being crashed by blues. try hard baits with wire leaders and rubber worms with wire leaders thrown in to bait being crashed . if it is able fish bite you will hook a lot of bait with the hard bait it will get annoying till you get one.

rattle traps in 3/4 -1once reef runners top water bass baits etc.. .any thing that works for bass will work on blue fish if they are in a feeding frenzy. change out the hook if you do go for salt trebles this way you bronze ones don't rust out. that and keep the baits separate from your fresh water stuff don't want it to rust out all your stuff lol's. any ways all you need is a spinning rod and some kind of car rack don't for get to bring a a automotive air compressor to fill your tires once done on the beach for pavement ya letting out air helps the ride on the beach. for traction. kinda like the sand dunes up at silver lake lol's

any ways best of luck to you./

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I have 2 days booked with Captain Josh Zacharias (Outermost Angling). He sight casts suface plugs using heavy spinning gear at the Bluefins. Sounds like a blast but we won't be landing any 500 lbers with that method. He said 50 - 300 is what they normally catch with 300's being near impossible on that gear. I'm pretty sure catch rates these days are nothing compared to the 80's. I sure hope we get into a few!

also i think there is a law that state you can not fish a fish more then 45 minutes or some thing like it. cause of lactic acid build up in you and the fish. so the captain will keep time of what going on. ya remember he is your guide so listen the best you can and do what he says.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just came back from there, took a charter out of Fairhaven. Fished for Strippers and Bluefish. The Stripper season has been very slow according to the locals. We managed three, one was too small. The others were 20 and 15 pounds. We also caught several blues in the 10-12 pound range. We went out 15 miles to the islands, wouldn't recommend it in a small boat. 10 foot seas that evening. The charter was called Mac Attack. The Strippers were caught casting live Eels and the Blues trolling large plugs. Not cheap but great memories with wife and daughter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts