Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
To the north from Whitehall to Frankfort the beach and pier have been pretty good if the wind is producing a good surf. If not you better have a boat. Fished the pier yesterday am but it was too calm so I called a couple buds and hit the laked with my boat and we took 12.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
To the north from Whitehall to Frankfort the beach and pier have been pretty good if the wind is producing a good surf. If not you better have a boat. Fished the pier yesterday am but it was too calm so I called a couple buds and hit the lake with my boat and we took 12.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Fished a pier this morning and went 2/2. Saw 6-7 other ones landed and a few more missed. Lake was flat as could be.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I fished Sunday a.m. on a n.w. pier. Went 3-5 on steelies. Only had one hit on spawn, the others were casting an orange moonshine casting spoon and a 3/4oz. pink/black dots k.o. All hits casting came as the waves/surf were building (9:30-11:30).
Also went to the surf Tuesday evening and had one steelie school me with the constant jumping and reversing directions. I was casting into the 3-4 ft waves along the beach with the same k.o. as Sunday. It was neat to have the fish jump and be eye-to-eye with me:yikes:.
Went Wednesday morning and covered the pier with spawn and the k.o. and about 2 miles of beach casting with no hits. I figured the calm seas had a lot to do with it...

Ben

·
Registered
312 Posts
All 4 steelies I've had on in the last 3 days have been adults. In talking to the dnr census dude Sunday he reported that (on the boats) there have been lots of juvenile fish taken lately, with less adults. He said also, that this change in sizes occured in the last week or so.
I felt like I was beating the odds, according to the census dude, that I had scored 3 adult fish Sunday...Maybe, the adults are closer to the surf than the boats are trolling. Hard to figure though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I saw some pigs taken wed. morning. My big one was 12 1/2 # and saw another just like it caught. I have seen more big fish this year than small ones, at least where I fish.

I know someone who was out on the lake last fall and landed 30-40 steelies. He told me there were going to be some good fish this year and he was right. Lot's of pigs around.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the information, i will be hittin the surf over the next few weeks, and also th eopener of rifle season.
Maybe i can meet a few of you over there, i am normally in full camo, driven a 1978 detroit iron chevy scottsdale, with a flatbed.
good luck to all

old truck

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Just be thankful you guys have such great fishing on that side. I try to go at least once or twice every season usually during the prime time. I watch the weather very closely when I plan a trip to go. I wait for a low presurre system to come through. A 12 1/2 pound steelie is a nice fish. I'm hoping to break the 15 pound mark and that will be a catch and release fish. These East winds will slow the beach fishing but with the rain the rivers should get a fresh run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts