Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have King Salmon steaks I caught this past fall on the PM.

I steaked instead of filleting and I have tried grilling these things but they seem too thick... It takes FOREVER for these things to cook through and then when they are finally cooked they are charred so bad it's horrible...

Any suggestions on how to salvage these steaks before I chuck 'em??

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Maybe you could let the fire die down a little before putting them on the grill. Cooking them longer on a lower fire might be the answer. Wrapping them in foil with your favorite seasonings might help too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I agree with YpsiFly. If you cook at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, the inside will be done without burning the outside. You also might be able to cut the steaks in half to make them thinner. I know that frying them in crisco after rolling in flour is good, but again, you need lower heat to prevent the outside from burning before the inside is done.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I wouldnt toss them out i would smoke whats left for about 20 minutes on the grill with the soaked chips on the fire. (dont try this if your grill is extremely greasy if so change your volcano rocks first) Then debone/deskin the steaks and break up the meat and mix with cream cheese and dill/dillseed or fresh dill. Makes the best cracker spread ever.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I can my large salmon.Just finished 22 pints and its better tasting than any salmon or tuna you can buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts