Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an ongoing thread below that centers around a deer camp photo prior to 1970 in Menominee County. We've been talking about what a great picture it is and how much we enjoy looking at similar scenes.

If you have any photos of deer camps from the days of yore (pre-1970) please post them here.

The photo below isn't mine, but rather another member in here whose name escapes me. It depicts his father with a buck that he took in the 40s-early 50s in the Frederic/Lewiston area I believe.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Remember when a bear tag came with your deer license and westerns were shown on TV?"

Yes I do. Although I was just a lad then and my Dad wasn't deer hunting at the time I do remember a cousin of mine who shot a bear north of McMillan in the U.P. while deer hunting and it being perfectly legal.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hey Whit, that first picture is my father. It's also in my gallery. That was his first deer taken with a model 721 in .270 with a weaver scope.

Here some more:

Dad's first hunt. He's in the middle between the deer.

Granddad with a couple bucks taken sometime in the 40's or early 50's. They really did use the fenders.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Flinch! I hope you don't mind me using it. It's been awhile since I asked you for the photo and I had recorded the info on it someplace, but can't think of where.

And yes! They really did use fenders to carry deer home.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Whit1 said:
Thanks Flinch! I hope you don't mind me using it. It's been awhile since I asked you for the photo and I had recorded the info on it someplace, but can't think of where.

And yes! They really did use fenders to carry deer home.
No problem using it. I was registered as 338bar when you asked for that photo, if it helps. I think I had sent a bunch of details along with it including more details about the rifle and where it was taken.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Great pics guys...keep em coming!!

We bought our neighbors camp and 80 acres that adjoins our land that was in their family since 1947. The owner we bought it from is in his 70's and his father hunted the area before they bought the place. I guess they have a pile of old pictures back home with buck poles, family vacations, and camp life they are supposed to send us at some time.....WE CAN'T WAIT to see those pictures and plan on enlarging several to frame and hang on the walls of the "camp" that will eventually be remodeled into our new home. Got to love those old photos!

I think I love those photos for the wilderness area they often represented. No ATV's, no baiting, different habitat types, different hunting styles, tent camps, rutted 2-tracks....I'd love to be able to just go back and wander the woods 40 years ago during Nov...just one day!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flinch said:
No problem using it. I was registered as 338bar when you asked for that photo, if it helps. I think I had sent a bunch of details along with it including more details about the rifle and where it was taken.
Yes, you did send more details. I thought it might be in my email Drafts file where I save some things, but no. Maybe in Word Perfect someplace.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Sib said:
Remember when a bear tag came with your deer license and westerns were shown on TV?

Let's see now, from left to right we have: Charles Manson, Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromm, Sara Jane Moore, Jeffrey Dahmer,John Wayne Gacy,Caril Fugate, Ted Bundy, & David Berkowitz. In the front we have Cujo and some type of vicious pit bull I'm sure.

Nope, you sure can't claim that children being exposed to animals being murdered for sport causes any harm.:D

(my apologies to your family, or whoever's family that is)

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
answerguy8 said:
Let's see now, from left to right we have: Charles Manson, Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromm, Sara Jane Moore, Jeffrey Dahmer,John Wayne Gacy,Caril Fugate, Ted Bundy, & David Berkowitz. In the front we have Cujo and some type of vicious pit bull I'm sure.

Nope, you sure can't claim that children being exposed to animals being murdered for sport causes any harm.:D

(my apologies to your family, or whoever's family that is)
LOL, not quite. You don't recognize the guy with the cowboy hat on? Ya should, he happens to be the president of this country and he took that bear on a vintage shakespear fishing combo...back when snagging was legal.
;)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Here you go. This is my great Uncle Ed Frein with a deer he shot in Newaygo County in the 1950's. It was taken near his cabin in Newaygo County. A portion of the property is still in our family, but the area has really changed (for the worse).

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Here is the cabin in the 1960's. I have lots more, but I don't want to monopolize the thread :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
The picture of the buck on the pole is my Grandpa's first deer and I still have the original shoulder mount hanging on the wall. The other is a 13 point he shot but I don't know when. The other is my dad with a deer from the same camp in the 1950's. I also shot my first in the same camp but that wasn't until 1981 so I wont post that pick. Our family has been hunting the same deer camp in the Eastern UP around the town of Rudyard since 1921. I don't have a son to cary on the tradition, but I am working on getting my 9 & 6 year old daugthers into giving it a try when they are old enough. Took them up last summer and they weren't too impressed with the cabin. I just love looking at the old photos. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
566 Posts
kutcheykoo, do you know anything about that long-barreled rifle that is in the photo of your grandpa's first deer? That is a nice buck and must be a mount to be proud of!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dandler,

My grandpa is the short guy and the other is his cousin George. I know that the rifle my grandpa is holding is a model Winchester model 1894 .32 special with an octagon barrel that my dad still uses today ( heavy gun to carry). Next time I talk to dad I will see if he knows what gun George is holding. I had that deer scored and it is a 151" 10 point that is in the CBM records I think #8 for mackinaw county that year. It was the first buck he ever saw. He told me it was warm that year and he had to ship the deer home by train and had to pay feight on 300 pounds. My dad is one of the older guys in camp now, but all of the same stories from the past 60 years still get told every year and you never get tired of hearing them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts