Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man o man, I have been skunked the last two weeks. I have heard it is an excellent spot, and have seen a couple nice steelies caught...all I catch is baby browns.

Any advice??

Thanks much
Denny

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
ratherBhuntin said:
Man o man, I have been skunked the last two weeks. I have heard it is an excellent spot, and have seen a couple nice steelies caught...all I catch is baby browns.

Any advice??

Thanks much
Denny

You sure you mean the Ausable not Au Gres?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Now that we've cleared up what river you were talking about.:) That section used to be excellent for Steelies, but IMO has been on a downward spiral for the past decade or so. I remember fishing it in the mid to late 90's doing very well. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago and almost all the holes were filled with sediment. There were very few places that could hold fish. It's a little better upstream from 55, unfortunately it does not open until the end of the month.

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I used to fish the Branch quite a bit, years ago. I agree that the holes are much shallower than they used to be, and the fish do not return in nearly the numbers they used to. I think that is largely because the lake level (Huron) is a lot lower than it used to be. Since it doesn't back up the river, the river is shallower. I can't explain why that would affect the river above the lamprey weir, but all the rivers I fish are much lower than they used to be - even though the flows are at or above average. Of course the last 10 years of low precipitation might have lowered the averages.:lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fished it about four years ago... lots of fishermen... a lot of smolt and small trout... Nothing to go back for though...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Caught my first steelhead there almost 40 yrs ago. I fish it a lot every year spring and fall and like AS says It still gets fish!

·
Premium Member
29,829 Posts
Jari22 said:
I fished it about four years ago... lots of fishermen... a lot of smolt and small trout... Nothing to go back for though...

Yep, he's right, don't go there and waste your time.:whistle:

Also, I have a beef, why isn't this thread deleted or edited by moderators since this river is not on list of ones to mention.:confused: :rant:

Would been gone in 2 minutes in N.W. forums.:hide:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I tend to think that the "Unmentionable" rivers list has to do with actual fishing reports, not "I caught some there 4 years ago:) ." I wouldn't worry too much about there being a rush of people hitting the place this weekend, we're not exactly giving the place rave reviews.:D

·
Premium Member
29,829 Posts
jrsoup said:
It says "and others" at the end of the river list.
Went over this once before with one of Mods, and was told if not on list, not mentionable. Just that when I posted about a certain stream in the NW, it got wiped out right away. No hard feelings or anything, just seems like the East side is not as policed as the West, and there is some great streams. O.k., my venting is over.:D

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Hey guys if you have an issue with a thread report it or pm one of us mods. I don't have time to read every single post in every river forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.