Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a gobbler call for the first time. Always wondered if it would work well as a locater, aggressive stimulator.

Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with one?

Yes, I know the safety concerns with sounding like a gobbler!

Thanks,
Chris

· Registered
8,005 Posts
I have used it , no doubt helped very much. Like to use as if a tom is responding right after my hen calls and also used it to immediately gobble after the approaching tom gobbled. Because I sit not in a tent, I only use it when I know there is no way a bird can see me, because mine takes quick movement to use the call. I think it makes the whole sequence of calling sound "nature",the curiosity "killed the cat" twice this year too!! I try to mimic everything I hear with real turkeys and well, gobbling is all part of the game, plus hens wanna see what might be available for mating:D

· Registered
2,707 Posts
I have used one for a couple years and they certainly work. I prefer an owl hoot in the early AM, but after that the gobbler gets the nod.

I also like to use it if the bird you are working quits talking back for an extended period and you want to know if he's still around before making a move.

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny that you mention a peacock call...I bought one a few years ago....never got a response from it. Then I discovered that my neighbor has an actual peacock and I hear him all the time! Never heard a response from him either!

I know people like the peacock locators, I've just never gotten the response from any locator other than a crow call. I've tried owls, coyotes, peacocks, pileated woodpeckers.....only a crow works for me and only sometimes!

Chris

· Registered
5,354 Posts
i called a gobbler back in that i had already shot at and missed by doing a gobble with a diaphram call.... nothing else was working to get him to come back in and it had been like an hour with him gobbling off in the distance and we had a jake decoy so i made a gobble with that and he came right in.... and i missed again (bow) but it was pretty funny everyone made fun of it and said it wouldnt work.... pissed the tom off enough to come in so i guess a gobbler shacker thing would work we used to have one but never used it the dang thing broke or somethin.. good luck

· Registered
10,455 Posts
I've found a regular box call works pretty good as a gobbler call. Move to the opposite end of the paddle handle and hold it from the bottom of the base. Then shake the base back and forth so the paddle slides back and forth across the box. I always have a rubberband on the box up toward the top. I hunt private property and no one else is around. I probably wouldn't use a gobbler call on public land where other hunters might be.

· Registered
8,469 Posts
Chris,
Repeat after me "you can never have enough calls, you can never have enough calls" :D I can't say for sure, but northwood and I hunted tuesday, and set up not far from the roost. At fly down, northwood walked away yelping, and I followed behind him shaking the gobbler, imitating a jake. Within twenty minutes out popped two toms, unfortunately, so did two hens, and they stopped and strutted at 35 yards, I should note, we were using bows, otherwise, you'd see pics. :D

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can never have enough calls, you can never have enough calls....man, that feels so right. Almost too right to be legal!

I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow morning. Went out on Tuesday morning and got completely skunked which is very unusual. Didn't hear a gobble or see a turkey. I've been seeing toms in the middle of the day with hens, but more and more lone hens in the middle of the day.

Good luck, chuckinduck....let me know how you and your brother do!

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.