Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a source for the fish-shaped cannon balls lately, and I've struck out.

I really like how they track though and seem to do better with them than the tru-track or reguar round balls.

I found an 8lb fish mold I can pick up for around $75. Obviously that's more than I want to spend to make myself a few cannon balls.

If I pick the mold up would anyone here be interested in buying a few from me? I don't know what lead runs, but I'm not looking to run a side business here and get rich. Just subsudize the cost of the mold a bit.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hey Beave

I might be interested.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I might have a trade for ya. I have a 5 gallon bucket of lead If you make me a couple you can have the rest of the lead.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,129 Posts
I have several old cannonballs to donate to the cause.
I'd like to give the fish ones a try.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look into getting the mold and price lead. I have a couple fish we made on an old mold that I just painted green with silver bellies today in fact. That's what got me looking for the new mold.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I Would Be intrested in atleast 5 of them.

Carl

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here's the pair of them I finished painting today. They were made for my grandfather (it's his boat I use) by a charter boat captain buddy he had when he was a marine deputy.

I painted the bottoms silver, the top of the cannon ball fluoresant green, and then put a coat or two of lacquer on. You may notice the holes in the tails, those are for if we're running rubber band releases. They were just drilled with a 3/16" drill bit.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Hey Beave...

I am curious as to what the weight of one of those fish downrigger weights is? Could possibly be interested in 4 or 5. I have 2 good sources for all the lead I would need.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only mold I can find is for 8 pounders. I'd prefer a 10 pound mold, but I'll fish 8's shaped like fish over 10's of another shape.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Get a hold of Jason Adam I just mailed him the 10 fish mold I had. Maybe he will pour you guys some. Just make sure with fish weights you bend the tails there swimmers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've been making my own for about 12 years and I am very pleased with the fish shaped weight. My mold has avalibility to put rings on top and at the tail. Attaching the release at the tail keeps the weight tracking straight. I've been looking for the mold and can't find it after the last two moves, if I can find it I'll be happy to make some weights for you guys.

freshly painted and ready for the lake

·
Registered
844 Posts
Beave,

I would definitely be interested in a few. I actually lost a fish shape weight early in the year. I now use one on the starboard rigger and a torpedo shaped weight on the port side. The idea of customizing is neat. I have some old lead balls I can donate.

Keep me in mind,

Alex;)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I've run fish-shaped weights before. I didn't notice any improvement then, and I usually use 12#ers now so I'm not too eager to get 8#ers but I would be interseted in 2, especially if you find a 10# mold(that's what my old ones were, I think).

Butch

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I want 5 let me know what the price is going to be.Are you going to include painting?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts