Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready for the tip up town trip was wondering if anyone fished it this weekend and how you did + ice conditions I fished Saturday on a thumb lake wow the little buggers were not bitting anything. :fish:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Was up there Thursday-Sunday, ice was 10-12 inches everywhere we checked. Fished on the south shore weed bed by lyman's shanties and about a mile out from there in about 8-9 feet of water. Ended up with about 15-20 pike. The biggest around 24-25 inches. 1 perch and 1 rock bass. Was hoping to run into some walleye but that was not the case.Most fish taken on tip-ups with golden shiners. While I would not take the risk, there were full size trucks running all over the ice this past weekend. Goodluck

·
Registered
794 Posts
glad that spot worked out for you fishonjr. i got this weekend off. so i see you guys this weekend. dont worry ill keep your hole warm till you get here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
between 4 guys. 2-3 tip ups a person.

Friday- 12 pike all hammer handles and one small walleye. greys seemed to be the preferred bait. the chubs didnt hit at all. some guys with frozen smelt next to us were hitting good for a while too.

Saturday- one bigger upper 20" pike on a chub early. crazy blizard the rest of the day. we did hook into about 10 dink perch in the mid afternoon.

sun- fished from 9-2 with no luck between 2 guys.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Houghton lake pike are picky on their minnows. Suckers usually don't produce much. Sometimes they like chubs. Their faves are big greys!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appriciate all the good adivse if I dont catch any fish now I may need to take up a new hobbie. Definately going to have a good time no matter what, but a mess of nice fish would be the icing on the cake. good luck See ya there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks J! I'm telling ya, this Navionics app rocks! We drove in the dark to within spitting distance of your marks from Wed. I'm still shocked we didn't get a pike, but certainly not complaining! I'll b bringing up those terrific Bay City blue minnows! Looking forward to Saturday n Sunday!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts