Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the time to pluck out all my ducks from the opener. I'm looking to prepare them in the smoker. Anybody have any good recipes / processes they can recommend? I was planning on doing a simple salt dry brine for 24 hours first, but then had no plans for anything else. I'm not a huge fan of the way wild duck tastes plain, so if anybody has a recipe that has a lot of flavor and spice that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I have smoked whole plucked duck by dry brining with a 50:50 mix of coarse salt and brown sugar. Add black pepper to your taste. Rub the dry brine on the bird and let it sit in a plastic or ceramic container overnight. The salt and sugar will permeate the meat and the pepper will deposit on the surface. Smoke the next day. Enjoy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I smoke a lot of turkey breast and I use, one gallon distilled water,one cup kosher salt,3/4 cup brown sugar,2 tlbs black pepper and 1/4 cup Worcestershire. I brine the turkey for at least 12 to 24 hours.have never tried smokeing duck,but I an going to try this wet brine a try. I also pluck all the duck I got this year,,and I hate when you get a young one with pin feather all over it

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Here is what it did with two mallards last yr. I thought it was really good.

Brine over night in one cup brown sugar 3/4 cup cosher salt and 1 gallon of water.

I stuffed the inside of the breast with cut up apple pieces, cut up oranges and onion cut in large chunks. 1 clove of garlic. I used toothpicks to close up the cavity as best I could. I put apple juice in the drip pan and smoked at 225 deg until done.....about 3-4 hrs.

I sprinkled Lowry seasoned salt on outside after removing from the brine.

This is the same recipe I use for whole chickens except I substitute the oranges for lemons quartered up.....it is outstanding. The moistest chicken you will ever eat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I smoke a lot of turkey breast and I use, one gallon distilled water,one cup kosher salt,3/4 cup brown sugar,2 tlbs black pepper and 1/4 cup Worcestershire. I brine the turkey for at least 12 to 24 hours.have never tried smokeing duck,but I an going to try this wet brine a try. I also pluck all the duck I got this year,,and I hate when you get a young one with pin feather all over it[/QUOTE
How long did you smoke the Turkey? I'd like to give it a go.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I take it out of the brine pat dry. Rub canola oil over turkey, then your favorite rub over turkey.( I just use equal parts of kosher salt,brown sugar,paprika and black pepper) I forgot to say before I put the turkey in the brine I separate the skin from the breast careful with my fingers trying not to tear the skin. Get smoker at 225-250 i put apple juice in drip pan and cook 30 min per pound.when I take it out of smoker I warp it in foil and then cover it with a couple dish towels to help insulate it for 30 min before carving.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would never, EVER use that Bradley recipe. The way they are smoking it is asking for food poisoning. The Bradley sugar cure must have nitrate in it.
When I did it I just make a simple (wet) brine with salt and brown sugar. I also add garlic and onion powder. Brine overnight and smoke at 225 until the internal temp is where you want it.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Just got the smoker set up and seasoned.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have a DU recipe book that has some awesome recipes in it. Have yet to try myself (lack of meat).

·
Registered
659 Posts
After it's plucked, brine it overnight. The following day, rinse the brine off and pat the skin dry, rub the skin with EVOO and then apply a good rub all over. I really like Oakridge BBQ's Gamebird Rub. Its good on pretty much any bird. Smoke it till its close to your desired doneness, and then finish it off at 350F or so for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

if you don't crisp up the skin at higher temps, the skin will come out rubbery. If your smoker won't go to 300F, then you might want to finish it off on a hot grill instead.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I dry brined it with brown sugar and diamond crystal salt last night, and plan to wipe that off and put a rub on it tonight and smoke it. My smoker can go just over 400 degrees, so I shouldn't have a problem crisping the skin, but this will be my first time smoking so we'll see.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks! I dry brined it with brown sugar and diamond crystal salt last night, and plan to wipe that off and put a rub on it tonight and smoke it. My smoker can go just over 400 degrees, so I shouldn't have a problem crisping the skin, but this will be my first time smoking so we'll see.
Just curious, how did your smoked duck turn out? Just a little heads up, not sure what kind of smoker you have,but if it's not insulated in the dead of winter it can be a little tricky bring it up to temperature.eventhough most meat temp call for 220 to 250. I have a decent smoke fish recipe if you don't allready have one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts