Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Eagle Claw Denco Graphite rod from around 1985, It has a 330 Garcia Mitchell automatic bail reel. Would the Rod be any use fishing Salmon or Steelhead ? it is 8.5 ft. line size 6-15, lure 3/16 -1 oz. The Reel is different , I don't think I could use it. It clicks like the old style reels, lol. funny it is instant anti reverse. I remember guys using these reels way back in the day. I hate to see things go to waste thought I might find a use for it . Im new to the Salmon /Steelhead game, So any suggestion would be appreciated. Would a Baitcaster work for float fishing , or too short of a rod ? What about converting to a fly rod ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Firm believer in using what you got. The pic makes the rod looks like a downrigger rod, with double foot casting guides, but it says spinning, so give it a whirl. Not too familiar with the 330, but did use 300's of that genre years ago for salmon and they worked fine. The reel looks like it's in good shape and good line capacity, go for it. Would probably work best tossing hardware on the breaks and rivers. A bit too short for a float rod, but what the heck, I've seen people be successful floating goop with even shorter rods. Wouldn't be worth converting to a fly rod, IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts