Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to live out in Ypsi on the huron river. We used to catch channel cats all day and night in geddes park and then one day it just dried up. No more cats at all. Does anyone know of any good spots in SE MI? I've heard good things about lake erie metro park near Fermi Nuke plant, but call me paranoid, I dont want to eat any cats from a nuke plants hot water drainage points.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yah I don't know if I would want to eat cats from there as well. I've done some boat fishing out near there with my grandpa and done well, but it was for perch.

In fact never eaten a wild cat, only farm raised which are delicious. How safe is it to eat wild cats?

Sorry for no help on places, I'd be interested in going cat'in when I was down that way visiting my grandparents.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are also delicious. You may get the occasional grassy tasting one which in my experience has been indicated prior to the first bite by a yellowish fillet. :sick: But its not any worse than a grassy tasting large mouth bass which i'm sure we've all experienced.

·
Super Moderator
37,805 Posts
I used to live out in Ypsi on the huron river. We used to catch channel cats all day and night in geddes park and then one day it just dried up. No more cats at all.
Go figure. A river can only hold so many fish. If you had the best hole, all the fish would move in there as you removed others. Eventually that section would get emptied out.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go figure. A river can only hold so many fish. If you had the best hole, all the fish would move in there as you removed others. Eventually that section would get emptied out.
We would release most of them. In a day if we caught 20 fish 18 would be released. I can't speak for others I saw fishing out there though. There was a romanian guy I'd see out there almost everyday named Flordian. This guy would tear up giant channel cats and carp all day and take them all home to make "sour soup". I always made sure to only keep a couple.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Th fish consumption advisery says no catfish consumption from lake erie.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Flint River has MANY good catfish holes. Of course, MS.com moderators ask us to not give up exact holes, but if you're interested, RyanK, let me know and I can send you a couple locations.
As far as eating cats from the Flint, I never have, but I know for darn sure that I can show you where to catch them!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We aren't allowed to give up exact locations? I hope I am not in violation of this rule with some other posts of mine.
I've heard good things about the Flint River, some of the dams in the area in particular, but I have no idea where they are at.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never been to worried about eating catfish from most fast moving rivers. The huron moves pretty quick near dixboro rd dam. I dont think i'd eat anything from erie except walleye, perch and the occasional silver bass. As long as you cut out the dark red meat along the lateral line on the skin side when filleting your fish you remove "most" of the impurities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts