Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on a winter canoe trip on the Pine River this weekend and had a chance to hunt for coyotes on Sat. night for an hour. Had no luck, not even a sighting. Did get to see a ton of deer, even rounded a bend to find a bald eagle munching on a deer carcass laying on a sandbar. Anybody have better luck in the morning for coyotes?

· Registered
707 Posts
I was out Saturday afternoon. I set up in a wooded area where I have seen a coyote and began a calling sequence, (rabbit distress). I called for about 3 minutes and stopped. The only thing that came in were three does. They could scent me but couldn't see me and were about 15 yards away. It was kinda funny. I tryed two more sequences each about 3 minutes and 15-20 minutes apart, no luck. I stayed put for 20 minutes or so after I was done calling. Nothing. I'm just learning so I don't know how "good" I sound or not. I called up a big owl the first time out. He flew in and landed in a big oak 50 yards out just to see what the commotion was.

Sounds like a great canoe trip though!

· Banned
694 Posts
msiebers and I went out a week and a half ago and had no luck in calling them in, but I think that the deep snow might be a hinderence.
I've been doing a lot of reading in my old hunting magazines, and on the internet. Here are a couple things that might increase our chances next time out.
If the deer are yarding up, they say that the coyotes will follw them and pick off the weak ones through out the winter. So, deer yards may be the place to look for them.
One other thing that I may have been doing wrong, is blowing to long on my rabbit cries.
The artical that I read said that a common mistake is in forgetting that the rabbit is a small animal with small lungs, so the caller must remember to keep his squeels (sp) short.

[This message has been edited by Tom222 (edited 01-08-2001).]

· Registered
384 Posts
I Managed to take one over the Christmas break! I have found that the warmer temps this week have put the Yotes in motion again.I was lucky enough be invited to hunt over a bait with a friend.(YUCK) My partners was able to shoot a nice Coyote tiping the scales at 31+#. His .243 is very effective but left an exit wound that may not be sewable. I would recommend baiting for those who can. It was nice to see so many coyotes in one night, five in all. The bait consisted of road kill and dried dog food.(Is anyone using night vision technology?)

· Registered
3,285 Posts
I was out all three days of the New Years weekend, and yesterday morning. I haven't called anything in. Of the four different areas that I hunted, I only saw tracks in one spot. That was on New Year morning. There were two sets that looked fresh enough for me to believe that they were in there during the night. I just need to keep checking out different locations until I find out where they are hunting.

------------------
Take a Kid Hunting!

· Registered
384 Posts
Recure- If your calling in owls then you sound "good." don't give up too soon. If your hunting southern Mi, like I am then the coyotes will need time to manage through the deep snow. Using a lone howl before you begin the rabbit screamin' will ad a touch of realism to the stand. Good Luck!

· Registered
106 Posts
I haven't been out coyote huntin this year yet, but I got out a bunch two years ago. I would head out during the summer when they were the only thing in season. Anyway, I would almost always call in a doe or two if no 'yotes responded. My point is, I think we might be on to something if a doe will come to a distress call. I thought about trying to call in some does with a squeeler this year when the rut was going, maybe a buck would follow. But I never tried, it just sounded to crazy to work. I plan on keeping track of how many does come in this year to try and see if it may work next fall.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
I was watching six turkeys yesterday (for the Jan. count) when I caught a movement on the top of a snow-covered hay field maybe 200 yards away. There sat an adult coyote -- at 11:15 a.m.! I watched him for a full five minutes as he kept checking out things in every direction from his vantage point. When he spotted the turkeys, he headed off the top of the hill in the direction the turkeys were heading -- behind the thick stuff where I couldn't see. Hope the turkeys made it O.K. -- I listened for quite a while and didn't hear any comotion. I didn't realize they were high-noon hunters, too! ~ m ~

[This message has been edited by Liv4Huntin' (edited 01-13-2001).]

· Registered
386 Posts
Its interesting, the biologists from the DNR I have talked to about this all told me they didnt think Coyotes were a threat to Turkeys. From the amount of feather piles I have found in previous seasons I think they should reconsider. Those Coyotes will probably eat anything they can catch...Especially when winter conditions are severe.

------------------
Mike

· Registered
71 Posts
my buddy had some turkey decoys last year for the spring hunt and was using a glass call when a coyote came charging out from behind after the turkey decoys. when it realized they weren't real, took off running, and he didn't get a shot at it.

· Registered
290 Posts
Coyotes not a threat to turkeys? Twice in resent years I've had coyotes come in to my spring turkey setup.

If your calling coyotes in an area that has turkeys holed up for the winter, you might want to try a little yelping on that diphram call. Yodel dogs will eat turkey any day they can!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.