Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any orv clubs in clare county?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just wondering if anyone has brought the orv use on county roads issue up to the county officials and if not wanting to get the ball rolling. we have a cabin in clare county and would like to see this come to life.

·
Registered
26,744 Posts
My parents live there. It's a shame that the old railroad that parallels US10 can't be used. Only snowmobiles and horses.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes my brother and my my mom live there right off us 10,it would be nice to use the old tracks. there are really no orv trails in clare county that I am aware of,it would be nice to take my son on short rides down the county roads when he gets the itch for a little riding. we usually go to the little manistee trail but it is quite a drive and the evart trail is too advanced for him to handle.

·
Registered
26,744 Posts
My folks live a mile north of US10 on Big Mud Lake.

Evart is motorcycle only, at least the last time I was there it was.

Leota, Harrison and Reed City all have trails as well but they are all a good drive.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
311 Posts
did not see clare county...but here is a list of those that are at least talking..
ACTIVITY:

Alpena, much discussion, opposition from r/c

Arenac, heard of some discussion

Bay, to study committee

Benzie, lots of discussion @ county level

Charlevoix, unknown

Crawford, discussion @ county level

Gogebic, discussion @ county level, close

Gladwin, discussion

Iosco, referred to Park Board, opposition by USFS

Kalkaska, opposition by r/c

Lake, recommended by study committe to move forward, close

Manistee, lots of discussion, maybe close

Montmorency, discussion @ county level

Ontanogan, possible action next meeting

Oscoda, possible action next meeting

·
Registered
311 Posts
I WAS UP IN LEOTA THIS WEEKEND AND WAS TOLD THAT (CLARE COUNTY) IS MOVING FORWARD WITH THIS. I WILL POST MORE AS I LEARN MORE ABOUT IT:evil:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well that sounds promising,hope it goes through. saw in the news a week or so ago that a person was killed while driving an atv on the road in clare county and thought that was just bad timing for it to happen right when they are considering opening up the roads.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
did not see clare county...but here is a list of those that are at least talking..
ACTIVITY:

Alpena, much discussion, opposition from r/c

Arenac, heard of some discussion

Bay, to study committee

Benzie, lots of discussion @ county level

Charlevoix, unknown

Crawford, discussion @ county level

Gogebic, discussion @ county level, close

Gladwin, discussion

Iosco, referred to Park Board, opposition by USFS

Kalkaska, opposition by r/c

Lake, recommended by study committe to move forward, close

Manistee, lots of discussion, maybe close

Montmorency, discussion @ county level

Ontanogan, possible action next meeting

Oscoda, possible action next meeting
Ogemaw has been open for a few years already.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes it has been, but at the same time as with other counties. They had to re-instate the rules to the state under this new ruling;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
found this on the web looks like they are planning on opening up some of the roads

http://www.clarecountyreview.com/?p=906

Also coming up on the board’s agenda: there will be a Public Hearing regarding ORV use on public roads within Clare County on September 29, 2008 at the Mid-Michigan Community College Auditorium at 7:00 p.m. Commissioners are seeking public input as to what portions of the County’s roads they should open up to ORV use.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well its a done deal as of 10:30 this morning the Clare Co Comm voted 5 to 0 to adopt PA240 there is still some paper work to do and the road comm has a chance to close some roads, looks to me to be open by deer season like Rosscommon maybe sooner.

this was pulled off www.atvoffroad.net

·
Registered
26,744 Posts
Cool beans :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
this is great news,I am glad they are opening them up.

http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2008/10/16/news/srv0000003801848.txt

Clare Managing Editor

Clare County commissioners on Wednesday unanimously adopted an ordinance that will allow off-road vehicles on some county roadways.

Vice Chairman Jim Gelios' motion to approve the ordinance came after three Leota-area residents voiced concerns over tourists shunning Clare and spending money in counties that already allow ORV travel on roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts