Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Any advice on planting corn borders around 2 acre plots?

3219 31
I was considering planting a privacy border around my plots until my norway spruce trees get larger, at first I was thinking of Miscanthus Giganteous but now I am leaning towards planting corn.
I was thinking about 4 or 5 rows around 2 sides of the plot. I have one of those push type seeders for planting and thought I would use the tiller / tractor to prep the ground.
Any advice would be appreciated, like when to plant in SE MI, preperation, what type of seed and where to get it, RR or non RR, Urea on top or not? Many thanks.
Reactions: jparks02
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
I would recommend sorghum-Sudan for a border. I us some triple 19 at planting and come back later with some urea. Deer don't eat the sorghum much and it makes a tall thick screen.
Ive had them eat the seed heads on sorghum but real late in the year
I would recommend sorghum-Sudan for a border. I us some triple 19 at planting and come back later with some urea. Deer don't eat the sorghum much and it makes a tall thick screen.
I watched deer browse on my EW last year during October.
Plugger how well did it stand up to snow/winds? I planted it once and it went down pretty early but have been reconsidering it again around the perimeter as to OP is looking for. I do remember the deer eating the seed heads also, but nothing while it was growing.
I have been using the sorghum for a few years and it has stood pretty well into the first part of rifle season.
I’ve used Egyptian wheat and corn. Corn held up better than wheat once the gales of November hit.
Want something fast that the deer won't eat, try snow fence.
If you like shooting ***** then corns fine
I planted a RR corn screen this past season for not only a screen but to control weeds as I’m preparing the soil for a switch planting this year. I planted late in the year 7/17/17 with no intention of having the corn ear out. I planted just under an acre, so a little different then your application.

This was taken on 7/25/17

Plant Sky Cloud Tree Natural landscape

And on 9/13/17
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Land lot
Plant Terrestrial plant Agriculture Cloud Grass

Noticed the ears taking shape, as I mentioned I planted late as my intention was for just a screen and no food.

I just cut half the corn down early this month and left the half standing to continue has a screen/barrier from the neighbors. I sprayed twice through out the season and didn’t apply any fertilizer. Now the deer, pheasant, and other birds our enjoying it.

Sky Cloud Plant Snow Natural environment
Plant Snow Twig Branch Wood

I would plant a minimum of 6 rows for a screen and ideally 8 rows. Once the corn dries down and a couple stronger winds you’ll notice it’s not as thick as during green up. I bought the RR seed from a local Elevator or as Guys mentioned on here before if you join or belong to pheasants forever you can get seed from them at a steep discount from the Elevators.
If I planted Sudan grass again, I would try mixing sunflower seeds in to help strengthen it for the snow.
Reactions: Bush and jparks02
I have been planting tall Sorghum for a lot of years that act as a barrier to protect my beans from the Turkey and help the Pheasants with cover and feed. Last year I had a field that had a underground water and could not plant till late June so I stuck in a solid acre of Sorghum. Only the OLDEST deer would eat the Sorghum. This past year I put in bigger areas of it and watched only the 8's and above eating it or the bigger does. They only ate it starting half way through gun season. I'm hooked, more and larger Sorghum fields are going in this spring. The only down side of this is were ever the Sorghum is planted and if left as is, it will be very thin in weeds and growth.
Thanks for all the good info. I was hoping to only plant something 10' wide or less to leave more ground for food. Last year I tried the Hybrid Sorgum screen from northwoods whitetail. It did ok but only got about 2' tall but I did plant it late, first week of August.
Plant Sorghum thick and fertilize on top.
Reactions: Wild Thing
Try the northwoods again but plant it earlier. JMO. Good luck.
Thanks for all the good info. I was hoping to only plant something 10' wide or less to leave more ground for food. Last year I tried the Hybrid Sorgum screen from northwoods whitetail. It did ok but only got about 2' tall but I did plant it late, first week of August.
thanks, was thinking the same thing, I believe it says to plant in May so I was 2 months late.
Try the northwoods again but plant it earlier. JMO. Good luck.
What time of year did you plant, first of May?
I planted a RR corn screen this past season for not only a screen but to control weeds as I’m preparing the soil for a switch planting this year. I planted late in the year 7/17/17 with no intention of having the corn ear out. I planted just under an acre, so a little different then your application.

This was taken on 7/25/17

View attachment 304229

And on 9/13/17
View attachment 304231 View attachment 304230

Noticed the ears taking shape, as I mentioned I planted late as my intention was for just a screen and no food.

I just cut half the corn down early this month and left the half standing to continue has a screen/barrier from the neighbors. I sprayed twice through out the season and didn’t apply any fertilizer. Now the deer, pheasant, and other birds our enjoying it.

View attachment 304227 View attachment 304232

I would plant a minimum of 6 rows for a screen and ideally 8 rows. Once the corn dries down and a couple stronger winds you’ll notice it’s not as thick as during green up. I bought the RR seed from a local Elevator or as Guys mentioned on here before if you join or belong to pheasants forever you can get seed from them at a steep discount from the Elevators.
I planted late in the season on July 17th as I didn’t want the corn to ear out and mature as my intentions were for strictly a screen that would hold up through the entire season. The corn served its purpose, but even with the late planting date it still produced ears and matured.
What time of year did you plant, first of May?
Has anybody tried Indian Corn? With it being so much taller and larger yield, would it hold up to deep snow? Would be easy to get the reseed also. Can never tell, maybe the ***** would not be so on it!
Thanks,

I picked up 5# of RR corn on ebay just to play with this year.
I planted late in the season on July 17th as I didn’t want the corn to ear out and mature as my intentions were for strictly a screen that would hold up through the entire season. The corn served its purpose, but even with the late planting date it still produced ears and matured.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.