Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a fishing trip up there this October druing the second week. I love catching smallmouth, largemouth, and walleye. We will be staying on Intermediate Lake. I have read other reports which leed me to belive I need to concentrate my efforts on Intermediate Lake, Lake Bellaire, and Skegemog Lake.

I have seen that Lake Bellaire and Intermediate Lake have more larger smallmouth than the rest of the chain.

I'm hoping to find the fish in 5 to 10 feet of water that time of year.

I read other post on this forum with questions about some of these lake but the replies have been by pm so not many answers were shown. That is why I am looking for some info that may help either by pm or a regular reply.

I appreciate any help I could get. This is my first time up in that area.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
For fishing in October in those chains, your gonna wanna aim at the primary drop offs. By then the water teps should be hovering around the mid 60's and they will be on the big fall feed. Skega has a stump field at the mouth of Torch river to the south. Shallow and woody. Belaire should be concentration on the eastern shore and the north arm areas. Inter. lake is a toss up. The southern end is a good producer for big smallies and farther up the chain it will switch over to a largemouth population. Big flashy spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, wiggle warts, and over sized soft jerk baits are my best choices at those times. The fish are looking to stock up on food and get very very agressive. Good luck to ya. Hope to see ya out there. I'll be in an older gray/silver ChampioN. Just scream out "hey pollock" and I usually answer. Any other questions that ya have feel free to ask. I'll be posting after every guide trip I do on the board so everyone can have a running account of how the years open water season is going in my area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pollock for the info. I will definately be looking for you on the water. My dad and I both will be in Skeeter bass boats, 19 footers with 150 V-max's on them. His is red and mine is tan/silver with tan carpet.

I read a little about the stump fields on Skega. Sounds like a great place for me to try. I called the Marina on the river just north of that stump field and talked to a Russ who helped out a little also.

I was told that Six Mile Lake has some nice largemouth action on top water. We may give that a try.

We normally like to throw tub jigs. Spinner baits are fun also. I have good luck on smallies with top water poppers also.

I will keep in contact with you (Pollock) as the time gets closer.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cool. Hope to see ya 2. You'll have to give me a ride as I've never been in a Skeeter. Don't forget the stump fields are usually only good on cloudy days or at the beginning or tail end of the days. It's just too shallow for effective fishing on them sunny days, but yanever know . Fish ain't the smartest things ya know :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts