Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tornado Jim
19,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot what I thought was an injured doe Saturday. It turned out to be a buck without antlers. He is the one on the right. He had zero body fat, a huge lump in his right leg, and his right femur was out of the socket. I guess that he lost his antlers due to severe malnutrition. The pedicles were flat and black. There were no holes in him so he must have been hit by a car.

The doe to his left had a much smaller head, smaller feet, but considerably more body weight. Note the fat on her compared to him.

It made me really sad to see him in such awful condition. But I felt good that I could put him out of his misery. There was almost no meat, just skin and bones.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Wow thats nuts! Well its a good thing you shot him. No way he was going to make it through the winter like that!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
good job putting him down. if you know how to can, i would can ALL of him. i shot a buck the first day of ML season that was like that one. we had some of the steaks and a roast... he was TOUGH, we canned the rest and that meat was fine. canned or burger is the way to go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do what you want but that looks like Coyote bait to me... I would not eat that sorry looking animal, that bugger has been sick for some time... I hate to waste an animal but I won't eat crap.....:protest_e

When a deer loses it's horns early and has an injury I have always been told it has been sick and fevered for a few weeks.... Looks like that is a prime example.....

Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Do what you want but that looks like Coyote bait to me... I would not eat that sorry looking animal, that bugger has been sick for some time... I hate to waste an animal but I won't eat crap.....:protest_e

When a deer loses it's horns early and has an injury I have always been told it has been sick and fevered for a few weeks.... Looks like that is a prime example.....

Good luck, Steve
:yeahthat:I would eat that doe and get rid of the buck. Good job of putting him out of his misery.

·
Registered
11,398 Posts
You did the right thing in puttiong him down. I did the exact same thing a few days ago, but I submitted the body to the DNR for testing.

·
Registered
743 Posts
With a screen name "Bioactive" were you doing some crazy experiments on the deer over there....Just kidding:D

On a seriuos note, I would turn the head in.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Alot of times you can tell by if his hair was slipping too.....That means he has been sick for awhile now...Not that you needed me to tell you that......Mack

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts

·
Tornado Jim
19,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Good luck, Steve
There is a lot of difference between illness and injury. Thanks for your comments but here is why I decided to get what meat I could from this animal.

There was no sign of infection, even in the damaged leg. It was swollen but only near the joint, had no gangrenous color or odor, indicating that it was just inflammation and edema from the injury. He did not have a compound fracture so there was no means for entry of bacteria. The organs were clear and healthy looking, just no fat.

We took the few chunks of meat that were available from the 3 undamaged legs and tossed it in with burger from the doe. I have no concerns about eating the meager portions of meat obtained from this animal. I felt no need to send its head in. This deer suffered from the "disease" of getting hit by a car or truck.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
he just looks like he was rutting BIG TIME and lost all of his fat.... and since he was already messed up a bit... depending where you are from (i didnt look) im guessing it might have been harder for him to get food due to a lot of snow or whatever so he just hasnt put the fat back on?.... i dunno just a thought....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts