Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK-
Ive been reading through these as well as the LP inlands posts and didnt see the info im looking for.

I have some family that have a cabin there and im 99% going this weekend.
(far north side of the lake, i think....)

1. Ice conditions... Is it safe to ride a sled on? Do you really even need a sled?
2. Is there really walleye and muskie in there?!? i was thinking it was more a perch and pike lake.
3. Anything i should know about the area? (unsafe areas, hot spots, local eateries, where the winning lotto ticket is sold...)

I might head over to the river or the Bay depending on weather and who all is running out also.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Not sure how far north the cabin is but I'm north of Albright shores and the lake up to my area is pretty safe, I just don't trust it to much by my house because of the way the channel is. There's usually always a open spot by the 30 bridge, east side of the dam. There isn't really much snow on the lake for a sled and the lake doesn't look to enjoyable for riding on. There's walleye in the lake but you just have to find them, I've never had any luck through the ice for them. Wixom is mostly panfish and pike, as far as I catch. Hope this is helpful, maybe others can give you some input to

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im either gonna stay there or in Sag at another one of the family places... not sure yet.

... i have no idea what im doing!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lots of guys fishing 1-3 miles south of where u are. I would run a sled down from the cabin. Vehicle parking will limit u so bring the sled. Look for the packs of people. Bring waxies & target the deepest water for crappies/ blue gill.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
OK-
Ive been reading through these as well as the LP inlands posts and didnt see the info im looking for.

I have some family that have a cabin there and im 99% going this weekend.
(far north side of the lake, i think....)

1. Ice conditions... Is it safe to ride a sled on? Do you really even need a sled? It's safe - just stay away from the bridges. Transportation is very handy to move around, and get away from crowds. Plenty of ice for machines - just not around the bridges. Any of them.
2. Is there really walleye and muskie in there?!? i was thinking it was more a perch and pike lake. Yes, there are really walleye and muskie in Wixom, just not huge numbers. I've caught walleye in the summer, but not winter. Some have. I've trolled for big pike and muskie - so far no luck. Perch are relatively rare and small.
3. Anything i should know about the area? (unsafe areas, hot spots, local eateries, where the winning lotto ticket is sold...) See answer to #1. The Beaverton Tavern has my stool on the rare occasion I'm out and about.

I might head over to the river or the Bay depending on weather and who all is running out also.

Thanks for any info!
See above in red.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like with everyone else headed to the Bay, thats where i am going to be.
However; thanks for all the info so far!

Ill keep it mind for the chance that i get up that way this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts