Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why - in the name of all that’s holy - do so many people swerve in the opposite direction before making a turn?
I had it happen to me twice just yesterday - I had to swerve away to avoid being hit.
It used to be common back before power steering came in , but it sure isn’t necessary today.

·
Premium Member
30,296 Posts
Why - in the name of all that’s holy - do so many people swerve in the opposite direction before making a turn?
I had it happen to me twice just yesterday - I had to swerve away to avoid being hit.
It used to be common back before power steering came in , but it sure isn’t necessary today.
I think they swerve in the opposite direction to counteract the force of inertia.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Those are all retired truckers who can't break the habit.

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Those are all retired truckers who can't break the habit.
I chock it up to people buying vehicles too large for their skill level. Every so often, I'll encounter a person that never owned a large vehicle trying to park it up close at the grocery store. Once I sat in my car for almost 5 minutes watching this guy pull in, reverse, pull in, reverse again, pull in, and reverse more because he kept getting too close to the cars on either side of the spot he was getting. Don't buy it if you can't drive it.

·
Premium Member
9,646 Posts
I chock it up to people buying vehicles too large for their skill level. Every so often, I'll encounter a person that never owned a large vehicle trying to park it up close at the grocery store. Once I sat in my car for almost 5 minutes watching this guy pull in, reverse, pull in, reverse again, pull in, and reverse more because he kept getting too close to the cars on either side of the spot he was getting. Don't buy it if you can't drive it.
Oh you have seen my wife park then .

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,182 Posts
I think they swerve in the opposite direction because they're idiots.
Fixed it for you.

Only one time do I ever have to do that "swing out" maneuver and it's on a 5 lane city street to the entrance at my work. Only when turning in from the South. Of course I look to see if I have anyone approaching behind me or into the center lane from ahead.

The idiot that redid the lot made the center rows so close to the driveway entrance that you either do that, or pull in and stop, back up practically into the street, then proceed into the lot! :dizzy:

It's a one way thing and we have to back in, stupid long story there. A real genius apparently DID NOT think this thing through....:coco:

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
Fixed it for you.

Only one time do I ever have to do that "swing out" maneuver and it's on a 5 lane city street to the entrance at my work. Only when turning in from the South. Of course I look to see if I have anyone approaching behind me or into the center lane from ahead.

The idiot that redid the lot made the center rows so close to the driveway entrance that you either do that, or pull in and stop, back up practically into the street, then proceed into the lot! :dizzy:

It's a one way thing and we have to back in, stupid long story there. A real genius apparently DID NOT think this thing through....:coco:
"Only when turning in from the South."....

Racist!

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
I saw a picture this morning of a truck that swerved to late in the traffic circle at Fife Lake and ended up in the ditch over the bank. Maybe he was just in training

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I never intentionally "swerve" directly in front of oncoming traffic, but as someone that drives a vehicle with a long wheelbase, edging over to the right or left before turning is simply a necessity in some places. Most modern parking lots (And some roads) simply aren't designing to accommodate longer vehicles when they are busy. With my current van if I didn't move to the left before making a right turn I'd be over most curbs, or turning into the oncoming traffic on the road to which I'm turning (which is even more dangerous).

·
Registered
13,482 Posts
I watched an autonomous vehicle, which was being piloted by a human, do this on Michigan Avenue in Detroit, this morning. Apparently the Autonomous vehicle Engineers want the blind leading the dumb............

I have zero tolerance for people who swerve into my lane for no reason, and I don't move for them. If they are avoiding a suddenly-opened door of a parked vehicle, or some other unforeseen thing, I am understanding, and will move to avoid contact. But just swerving into my truck for no reason will result in much more damage to the swerving vehicle, than it will to my truck. Much more......

·
Registered
13,482 Posts
I never intentionally "swerve" directly in front of oncoming traffic, but as someone that drives a vehicle with a long wheelbase, edging over to the right or left before turning is simply a necessity in some places. Most modern parking lots (And some roads) simply aren't designing to accommodate longer vehicles when they are busy. With my current van if I didn't move to the left before making a right turn I'd be over most curbs, or turning into the oncoming traffic on the road to which I'm turning (which is even more dangerous).
I drive an F250, super duty, with crew cab. I can turn right at corners into the near lane with no trouble, and I am willing to bet my wheelbase is longer than every passenger van. I love turning right, when someone coming from the opposite direction is turning left, and I can turn in 1 lane, while they have to slide into my lane, when they already have 4 lanes to turn across. They can beep their horns all they want to. We both have plenty of room to turn, if they just actually turn their steering wheel. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
This one annoys the heck out of me too. I drive an F450 aerial lift truck and pull a 20’ trailer every day at work. There are very few corners that I need to steer wide, just a little fore-thought and you don’t need to make crazy sweeping turns

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That doesn't make sense. A van is easier than most everything to turn.

I think most people just struggle with physics. You can't carry as much speed with the wide >90 degree turns. It is the same as people who have to slow down fast on the highway and they veer off to the side of the road. You never saw that 25 years ago....Now you see 5 cars a day doing that.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
My post should read some curbs, not "most" and I wasn't suggesting that I have to go into opposing lanes to turn, but I routinely have to use the far edges of my own lane. Other than that I stand behind it. I've been driving large passenger vehicles for long enough to have the "physics" of it figured out (My first car was a 1969 Newport and that thing was a complete POS to turn in tight quarters).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yep. I do my best to avoid WalMart and Meijer parking lots on Friday. It's bad enough at any time but Friday seems to bring out all the crazies. Frightening really at times. Then you go in the store........

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Yep. I do my best to avoid WalMart and Meijer parking lots on Friday. It's bad enough at any time but Friday seems to bring out all the crazies. Frightening really at times. Then you go in the store........
Me and the wife grocery shop Mondays and Tuesdays, way less people to put up with most of the time. I can't do weekends or Fridays at the grocery store, those people are nuts.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts