Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figuring "sparse" will gain depth, I tried my hands at a few that may work for salmon or steelhead.
Unfortunatly the salmon were still scarce in the waters I fished, but the trout were all over them. They sank like a rock and will hold depth even in decent current. Hopefully this cold snap will bring a few fish into the tribs near my hunting property. ;)

·
Administrator
35,625 Posts
Have you ever tried that "lead tape" for extra weight? Still makes a neat fly put will really get them down. It does make them tougher to cast though and in fact may force you to a chuck and duck.

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Mike
Those look great Ralph. Did you need any extra weight on the leader?

Mike
Nope. I fished water anywhere from 2-4 feet and they even required a slight down-stream cast to keep them off the bottom.

They are tied with a layer of .015 wire. Keep in mind, these are tied on a size 2 Nymph hook, which in itself is quite heavy.

Although the picture doesn't show it, the orange and yellow bodied ones have a very fine strip of tinsel.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey Ralf, I learned an awesome new technique from Linsenman this week ..... I'll have to show it to you sometime.

·
Premium Member
12,764 Posts
Ralph your flies are way too nice to use for salmon! I put up my last jar of bobber spawn tonight, all of the salmon can go belly up. I need to pick some corn with the PSE then it should be steel time. It looks like it may be a good year coming up. This looks like a year where the fall fish move right up rather than stack up in the lower river. There are allready some steel in the flies water.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I used the bead head soft hackles the past two weeks and did very well with them again for trout. I need to learn more about soft hackles, they produce very well.

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by plugger
This looks like a year where the fall fish move right up rather than stack up in the lower river. There are allready some steel in the flies water.
Right on!

This rain couldn't have come at a better time and the water temps are dropping. A perfect recipe for a good run. Kinda reminds you of a few years ago, doesn't it? :D

Pat, I bought some wet/nymph hooks in a size 6 and 8. I'll start working on some larger versions for steel. Seeing how steelhead seem to concentrate themselves in "broken water", I bet they can be stripped successfully.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I have those sparrows I tied last winter with the after shaft for large gills in brown and olive that should work well for the steels. I need to get some supplies to work on a stone pattern I saw that is heavy and realistic.

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Pat,

What colors of those small wets are working this time of year on the trout? Just trying to establish some kind of pattern.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Olive body with dun hen wings and tan body with dun hen wings. The tan bodies are working the best. I took brookies and bows with them but no browns. I switched to some streamers (zoo cougars) and had browns hit.

I think the tan bodies were like tan caddis emerging. They even did well in a mix of tan caddis, white millers and a few ephorons. I landed a dandy 13" bow on it.

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup

I ran into a nice caddis hatch last Monday. They were small. Something like a 14 or 16. The trout were going nuts.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Originally posted by Steve
Have you ever tried that "lead tape" for extra weight?
I have and I really like it. The stuff I was using came from a golf shop. They use it to add weight to a club, I think they wrap it around the shaft.

I cut mine into a trapezoid and lay the wide end on the hook shank and then wrap it on. As you work towards the top of the trapezoid, it gives the body a nice taper.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I haven't stripped mine though which may explain why you are having luck with the brown hackle. I have had the best luck with the dun and some good hits with the badger hackle.

I've also been attaching mine under an elk hair caddis. The elk hair gets some hits but most fish are on the wet. The EHC is mostly used as a strike indicator.

·
Administrator
35,625 Posts
I cut mine into a trapezoid and lay the wide end on the hook shank and then wrap it on. As you work towards the top of the trapezoid, it gives the body a nice taper.
That's a great idea. I'll have to try it the next time I'm using that lead tape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts